Pennzoil Ultra vs Amsoil XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I can buy amsoil XL 5w-20 for little cheaper than Pennzoil Ultra 5-20 which is a better oil for my new f-150.

Under the condition that you can get the Amsoil cheaper, i would probably jump on that.

If the Amsoil XL was more expensive, i would go with the PU, either will do very well in your f-150

Originally Posted By: Trex101
Amsoil XL are more equal to PP than PU.

Why do you write this? Please back your opinion. Thanks.

I would say OE is somewhat better than PP, and XL is at least equivalent of PU, except XL has a stouter additive package.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
Amsoil XL and Pennzoil Platinum are both group III/IV blends.

Pennzoil Ultra is 100% group III.

We don't know at all what the base oil of OE and XL are. All Amsoil says that they are the same. I imagine they are Group III mostly.

Both are excellent oils and can do 10k miles. It's all preference from here. Amsoil or Pennzoil.

Quote:

Got any links to that information?

FWIW, my three favorite oils are PP, PU, and Amsoil XL. After trying oils such as RP, M1, GC, Rotella T5, and a few others, I feel that PP, PU, and XL have given me the best results. This is of course purely subjective - no UOAs, but my engine has been smoother and quieter when running these.

PU and XL are both excellent oils. My advice - if you really want to know which is 'better', try a couple OCIs with XL and then a couple with PU. Either you'll find you like one better than the other, or you'll find they both give you equally good results.

Personally, I don't like to get caught up in the Grp. III/III+/IV/V arguments about 'synthetic' oils. The 'best' oil for you is the one that yields the best results in your f150, not the one that looks the best on paper.

Thanks guys for the learning process. I did not won't to get a argument started.Is it OK to change around to different types of oil?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I would say OE is somewhat better than PP, and XL is at least equivalent of PU, except XL has a stouter additive package.

Why do you write this? Please back your opinion. Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast

Source of this info, please?

Originally Posted By: YANCEY
Guys I can buy amsoil XL 5w-20 for little cheaper than Pennzoil Ultra 5-20 which is a better oil for my new f-150.

My guess is your truck won't be able to tell the difference. Toss a coin.

Buster, what is your source for PU being 100% Group III. I would like to see that, Thanks.

Originally Posted By: bustard
You are out of your mind.

Well at least I have a mind to be out of.

PP meets HT0-06, does OE? No. How did you arrive at that silly conclusion?

Has OE been tested to HTO-06? That marketing spec is now outdated and most any decent oil can meet it. I arrive at my conclusion being completely free of the crazy love for Pennzoil exhibited by some here on BITOG. I simply see how Amsoil’s group III oils perform in real life and in UOA’s. Remember they were pretty early in the market in most all of their products.

PU uses a Group III+, and now maybe PAO or GTL (new PDS's changed so formulation may have changed.)

So you say. No proof really, just be man enough to admit your love thing.

PU on par with Amsoil SS.
PP would be on par with XL.
OE would be on par with a Syn blend type product.

You been smokin’ that junk again? What do they put in that stuff these days? People eatin’ peoples faces and the whole bit.

At the very least the silly UOA’s prove OE almost matches PU, and XL really exceeds it, but given the variables and the fact that XL costs less than PU, seems like a no brainer. I guess it just angers the haters that Amsoil actually has some darn competitive products. Just get over it. Move in buster, you missed your chance.

Stouter add pack? The majors often don't use "add packs". They custom blend using different components. And newer adds are not showing up in VOA's so I like how you arrive at that conclusion, again..

They custom blend using various soluble additive packages. All motor oil companies do that. Funny that Amsoil was one of the first to use stable additives that don’t show up directly in VOA’s and UOA’s.

Complete nonsense.

I know. You should watch what you post on the internet.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Why do you write this? Please back your opinion. Thanks

I answered above, but since you asked, no problem. Because of the performance over the years in real applications. OE = the old XL. The UOA's and the cleanliness of engines. Most people who use XL, prefer it to PP for TBN retention and this can be seen even in the UOA's. I am not saying PP engines are as dirty inside as, say, Castrol engines, but the XL engines just stay clean. Now the new XL, with better additives is better than PP and so far, at least equivalent to PU, if not better.

L exceeds PU? LOL!!!! At least Shell used the SEQ IIIG.

Amsoil does not cost less than PU or M1. That is just a complete fallacy. I can get M1 in a 5qt jug that comes to $5.79qt

XL is $5.50
OE is $4.42

Now you are saying Amsoil doesn't test their oils!

Listen, if you think those oils are so superior why don't YOU post proof?

I see it every day. You just chat it every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back