Hydro lock in a Sea Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried to start a 1998 Sea Doo Xp with a new battery. Would not turn over at all. Took out the plugs and it turned right over. Shot water all over the place for quite a while.

I don't know what happened when one of our kids put this machine away last fall. What would cause the hydro lock? By the way their was no rust in the water that came out of the engine.

Forgot to say I still did not get it started as I wore the battery down and had to charge it again.

Last edited:
Got these answers from a PWC site for someone else with hyfro lock-

All skis have a water inlet hose. It's what feeds the engine cool water.

Did you tow it before or after you cleared the hydro lock?

If it was before... then you are fine. Towing without picking your feed hose will fill the engine with water... but since yours was already full... it wouldn't make a difference.

Since you have cleared the engine... and you ran it hard... all the water will be out, and oil will be in. You should be fine with a regular flushing.

Answer #2
Watercrafts
yamaha waverunner1997, 1996 seadoo gsx 1996
Feedback Score

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been told that if you dont pinch the water inlet line when you tow it it will fill with water. I am guessing that by towing it the prop must be turning and pumping water into the motor with no way to remove it cause the engine is not running. Mine has been flooded with water twice. Both times I got it running and have no bad effects yet and its been a year since the last mishap. I just pulled out the plugs spun the motor till no more water came out. Cleaned the plugs and tried to start it. I did this about 7 or 8 times each time drying the plugs and re installing them. It eventually started.

Nope the prop isn't spinning. When you pull the boat/ski, you are forcing water though the pump... and in turn, into the engine.

Fubada...

If you look at your transom from inside the hull... you will see a 5/8" (or so) rubber hose just at the top corner of where your pump is bolted to. That hose will be going to the head of the engine. That's the hose you need to pinch off. A regular hose clamp won't work... you need a pinching device. They can be bought at your local dealer, or autoparts store.

Motor will not last long if it sat with water in it.
Don't stray to far from shore.

run it and run whatever hdeo is around with a flush change every couple of runs to flush water sludge and any rust(if any) wears off. do that 5-10 hrs and do a hdeo 10hr chang with filter and it should be good to go back to your rutine. whatch that oil level, broken ring(s) will be the worse damage with the hydrolock.

kc

JR it is a 2 stroke rotax motor.

And all the roller bearings are toast and will come apart soon i bet.

I had a bunch of 2 stroke sea doo's from the late 80's to about '02. I never got water in the engine that I remember and never took any special steps when being towed - which happened fairly often. Almost as often as I had to replace motor mounts.

There was one particular direction you were supposed to right it if it was upside down that would roll any water in the intake back out. Is it possible that the kids got water in it and then towed it back and parked it because it would not start?

If it sat for months with water in it, I would not have high hopes for it.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I had a bunch of 2 stroke sea doo's from the late 80's to about '02. I never got water in the engine that I remember and never took any special steps when being towed - which happened fairly often. Almost as often as I had to replace motor mounts.

There was one particular direction you were supposed to right it if it was upside down that would roll any water in the intake back out. Is it possible that the kids got water in it and then towed it back and parked it because it would not start?

If it sat for months with water in it, I would not have high hopes for it.

This is my thinking also.
And thank everyone for NOT saying 'Hydraulicked"!

If you are getting water in the cylinders and it is not from being submerged, then you have some leaking gaskets. (Unless it is able to get in through the exhaust system, the exhaust is water cooled.) I have seen a bad intake gasket suck water out of the bottom of the hull.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back