Auto-Rx Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle Spec: Isuzu Trooper 99 Auto
Engine: 3.5L DOHC V6 with hi-flow cone filter
Miles: 130+K mostly highway now
Operating RPM: 2900-3100 highway cruising
Vehicle usage:DD 100+ miles/weekdays 95% highway Oil Normally Used:mostly dino,some synthetic,5w-30 & 10w-30
Oil Used for this Procedure: SuperTech 5w-30
Filter Commonly Used:purolator Premium/Proline/V-1
Filter Used for this Procedure: Purolator
Oil Change Interval:3-6k miles
Issue: Oil Consumption, 1/4 - 1/2 quart@1k miles.

Actions/Observations:
After filling with 5 quarts of oil + pre-filling oil filter(1/8 quart), the truck is driven about 400 miles.Removed and installed new filter, added bottle of Auto-Rx,topped off oil(1/4 quart). Driven another 100 miles, topped of oil 1/3 quart to top of fill level.Driven truck for 850 miles total and oil level down about 1/8.Drove another 100 miles(550 with Rx,950 total),changed oil/filter.

Drove 810 miles without Rx, removed/installed new filter pre-filled with 5oz oil, added bottle of Auto-Rx,topped off oil with 1/2 quart after 90miles - note: oil seems to be 1/3 quart down prior to filter change;also drained about 9 oz of oil from the filter change. Oil level at add mark at 1295 miles - added 1/2 quart - oil level at 2/3 of full.

Check Engine light came on at about 1135 miles - most likely not related to Rx but to leaky intake manifold gasket and/or oxygen sensor(s). Only problem so far is occassional rpm surging at idle(Park/Neutral) when hot/warm. Will need for a shop to check error code to confirm which part failed.

Will drive about 1000 miles with Auto-RX then do oil/filter change;will be using 2 quarts Castrol GTX and 3 quarts Castrol High Mileage Formula 10w30;might add 3 oz of Auto-Rx at alternate oil intervals(until the 3rd bottle is used).

Used 2, 5quart gallon jugs + 2 quarts of oil & 2 bottles of Auto-RX (2 oil/filter changes + 2 additional filter only changes) @2245 miles. RPM seems to be down just a bit at cruising. MPG is normal-maybe just a bit more. Oil consumption seems to still exist - maybe 5w-30 is too thin? No change in performance(nothing wrong to begin with).

Verdict: I guess its too soon to tell. Will pass judgement until 6-8k miles had been run after the treatment cycle is complete.

-

IMHO you used the safest product out there for engine cleaning. Any problems uncovered would have happened at some point. You may have prevented a bigger problem looming in your engine's future. It cleans slower (and safer) than any other product.

BTW, I don't sell Auto-Rx or have any affiliation with it.

The Auto-rx has nothing to do with your RPM's at cruising

I don't follow
confused.gif
, if the engine is indeed cleaned then it should run better, yes?

IMHO you used the safest product out there for engine cleaning. Any problems uncovered would have happened at some point. You may have prevented a bigger problem looming in your engine's future. It cleans slower (and safer) than any other product

I am just stating my experience and observation. I'm not trying to debunk other people's result with the product.

Sounds like you have done an above and beyond application. Would have been less costly to add the first bottle of RX with 500 miles left on the original oil, before scheduled drain. Normally do not need to start with fresh oil on the first bottle. Then run the second bottle at the back end of the next oil load, adding the auto-rx with 1000 miles before scheduled drain. Normally the largest gains with RX on a relativly high mileage motor is during the second application. Keep the faith. Is your motor burning the consumption or leaking part?

There are no leaks;so it seems that the motor is burning the oil.

After or while the CEL issue is being taken care of, I might have the valves checked and adjusted if necessary - some folks(other forum) thinks that this might contribute to oil consumption.

The RPM' of the engine are a result of the gear ratio in the transmission, rear end and the size of the tires. You would have to physically change one of these to affect the RPM

Yes I agree that the operating rpm is controlled by gearing. However good ring seals and a properly tuned motor can give additional MPG running at that given RPM.

Poor info from O2 sensors, or an intake manifold leak can contribute to oil burning. If the computor send too much fuel to the combustion chamber, the likely hood of poor mileage and excess blow by of raw fuel can thin out the motor oil, leading to consumption. On the other side of the coin, running to lean can cause excessive heat, thinning out oil, possibly burnt piston(s) resulting in poor performance and oil consumption as well. Best to investigate the error codes.

quote:

Originally posted by slickracer:
The RPM' of the engine are a result of the gear ratio in the transmission, rear end and the size of the tires. You would have to physically change one of these to affect the RPM

My statement is based on actual observation. One example is the RPM before and after a spark plug change @120k. Speedo reading of 80MPH(not actual due to gearing/tire size)before change gives me 3k RPM. After the change I'm below that,(maybe by 150 rpm) based on the analog tach. What you said is true but IMO those are not the only factors.

Suggest you extend to 1500 miles in lieu of 1000
and after cleansing of engine and your new oil is in add 3 ounces to your oil reserve and drive 100 miles and post again. Have a garage cut open your filter changes during cleansing mode and look at them.

At 2434 miles added 1/2 quart where oil level seems to be 1/8 to add level. Changed oil/filter at 2484 miles with Rx in 1674 miles. Used 2 quarts Castrol GTX and 3 quarts Castrol High Mileage both 10w30. Will add 3 oz of RX at about 150 miles later.

Added 3 oz Rx at 2909 miles(425 after oil/filter change) , oil level seems to be normal(no loss) at this time.
Note: CEL light is gone this morning (the occasional surging at idle/park after getting to work still exist but it seems to settle down sooner than before - too early to tell tho). Hopefully, the combination of thicker oil and *cleaner* engine will result in reduction or elimination of oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back