results on atf engine cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
some of you may remember me inquiring on running atf instead of oil for a cleaning of the inside of my engine.
i changed my oil this weekend and did just that.
results are pretty impressive. whati did was drain my existing oil and replace my filter. i added 100% atf to my engine and started it up. the oil light went out after 4 seconds (normal for an oil change) i then kept it at 2000 rpm's for 10 minutes and drained it out. the atf came out thick and chunky, solid chunks were visible.
i removed my pickup screen which is very easy on a porsche (1 bolt) and it was about 50% clogged with solids. i cleaned and replaced it,then filled up with rotella t and started it up.
note: the following may be psychosomatic.
it seems as though my valves have less ticking, and i have less blowby. the inside of the engine IS cleaner. i see about a 50/50 mix of black solids and alunimum where it used to be 100% black inside. i had no fears of solids comming lose and clogging oil lines, as this is whatoil filters are for:)
my oil pressure afterwards seems uneffected, maybe a tad higher though.
i took the car out for a thurough beating on the backroads, and nothing broke. i dont notice any abnormal noises (no rods or mains knocking).

the only thing that worries me is the lifters are ticking less. i think perhaps the atf dissolved some of the valve deposits which made the valves stick into the seats farther and this took up slack in the valvetrain. this is only speculation, as i will have to climb under and adjust the valves to find out is the clearence went down or not.

Interesting, experimenting on a Porsche, wow!

In previous discussions though people seem to imply that ATF has no more detergents then motor oil and if that is the case why did it remove so much gunk so quickly. Just because it is a 0W20 weight or so should not make htat big a difference.

Anyone explain why it removed so much build up?

According to MolaKule and others, running a high quality detergent 0w-20 motor oil should have produced the same results. Perhaps next time, a test can be done where a 0w-20 detergent oil is run through first. Then run the ATF and see if it cleans anything the 0w-20 oil didn't.

Not to further beat the Bush,

ATF is high detergent and thier quite aggresive ones at that (some can be up to 75% by volume detergent and 25% the actual ATF).

I do not know where someone here came to the conclusion that ATF is not high detergent?

At least from the Shaeefers site as i recollect that one did not appear to by detergent heavy...i concluded this from looking at the percent of base stocks used and the remaining additive package. Correct me if i am wrong.

Indeed your more than brave to run 100% ATF on your engine. I would fear the call here to Jasper or AC Delco for a remanafactured engine the next day *lol*

Were you the only owner of the Porsche? Why were the internals so filthy to start with?

Outrun-

Pretty brave of you Crytpo, but thanks for being the test dummy
wink.gif
I know that with the Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo V6 engines, there has always been a major problem with valvetrain noise. A popular fix with the Passport/Rodeo crowd is to drain the oil, put 1 quart ATF to 4 quarts motor oil, and run for a couple of days, then perform a complete oil change. Running straight ATF is brave
shocked.gif
-Joe

I talked to an AAMCO builder here and thier remark was ATF's are more DISPERSANT heavy than detergent concentrated.

Other than that i will have to research this question.

The Detergent/Dispersant package is pretty weak.

Now the phosphorous and sulfur could react some with some of the sludge,
but the only thing I can think of that might even contribute to solvency is simply
the light 0W20 viscosity.

Cryptokid,

Was this a fully synthetic ATF oil, a blend, or a dino ATF? Dexron or Mercon?

If it was a synthic ATF (a waste of money for this application), then the high ester content could grab some of the sludge and put into solution.

How did the ATF appear? Globules of sludge, was the fluid any darker or thicker than usual?

Can you give us a better description. Please realize the fluid is pretty dark (red) already.

whoever thought of using a high detergent 0W-20 has TOO MUCH MONEY ON THEIR HANDS!!!

smile.gif

You cannot find dino 5W-20 let alone dino 0W-20. So that leaves a fully synthetic 0W-20 engine oil, costing $5/qt.

Meanwhile the cheapest ATF which is rich in detergents costs about $1-$2/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back