Nissan Matic-S backwards compatible with Matic-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they have very different friction characteristics and I would not do this. Matic D is compatible with Dexron 3.

Matic S is definitely backwards compatible with Matic J, but I haven't heard anything about Matic S being backwards compatible further than that. Beck Arnley offers a Matic J/D fluid, called Type HP/Matic J. MaxLife claims Matic J and Matic S compatibility, along with Dexron VI and a whole host of others. It's also interesting to note the RP Max ATF claims Matic J and Matic D, but specifically warns against use in Dexron VI and Matic S applications.

D and J are different.

My AWD g35 wants D for the T-case and J for the ATF, there are stickers all over the engine bay and underbody saying this. Matic J is now Matic S. So i would somehow assume D and S are not in the same ballpark.

D is just dex3.

I do have some castrol transmax ATF that is D and J compatible.

I read some post on this forum stating that Matic-D has a different type or amount of FM. When I first bought my 99 Q45 it had slightly harsh shifting in 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, 4th-TCC engagement. Fluid looked fresh, was at the correct level, and no foaming, so I figured it must have been cheap-o ATF from a 55 gallon drum at the quick-lube. I drained and refilled with CarQuest Dex/Merc which meets DexIII(H) which we use in all vehicles that require Dex/Merc. Noticeable difference in shift quality (better), but after about 100mi the smoothness was gone and it shifted the same as before, so I did three more D&Rs with the same result. Bought 12qts of Matic-D did two D&Rs and it shifts perfect and has been for about 3500mi. So at least for my Nissan "Any ole DexIII will work" is not true.
The Q has 73,000mls, I'm the second owner and no receipts for an ATF service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
D and J are different.

My AWD g35 wants D for the T-case and J for the ATF, there are stickers all over the engine bay and underbody saying this. Matic J is now Matic S. So i would somehow assume D and S are not in the same ballpark.

This. J has been upgraded to S, D is totally different. You can (should) put S in J applications and D in D applications.

I had a hard time convincing my Nissan dealer of this. They charged me extra to put OE Matic S in my FX transmission.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I had a hard time convincing my Nissan dealer of this. They charged me extra to put OE Matic S in my FX transmission.

Shouldn't any J left be old stock, anyhow? My understanding is they were replacing J completely with S.

The S is a different product. I have two main synthetic ATF's: One "Universal Synthetic" that covers the Dexron/Mercon/Mercon V/ATF+4/SP-III, and the earlier Nissan specs, etc.

And one that is thinner, different additive package, that covers Dexron VI, Mercon LV, Mercon SP, Toyota WS, Nissan Matic-S, and a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back