Land Rover Defender Td4 - Diesel oil advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD5

I'm interested in your opinion about the best oil for the Land Rover Defender Td4 which use the Ford Duratorq 2.4 Diesel engine (it's the same engine of the Ford Transit).

Owner manual recommend to use only FORD WSS M2C 913C or ACEA A1/B1 lubricants that are 5W-30 low-friction, low HTHS and energy conserving oils.
Most Defender owner are concerned that this kind of specs don't allow a full wear protection especially in summer season or when in hot desert like environment.

I'm tempted to use a 5W-40 API CF / ACEA A3/B4 but after reading that engine designed to use hyper fluid oils are built using low tolerance bearings, bushings etc. and can be damaged by using mid/high HTHS oils.

What's your opinion about and which oil do you think is more suitable ?

Thanking in advance for any advice.

The Ford WSS-M2C-913C specification meets ACEA's A5/B5-08 performance level, and is backwards compatible with the WSS-M2C-913-A and WSS-M2C-913-B specifications - i.e. ACEA A1/B1.

If you compare the performance levels on Lubrizol's website, you will notice a substantial improvement in comparison to the older specifications. Having said that, comparing A3/B4-08 to A5/B5-08, you will also notice it's quite similar.

I believe you will be fine with a 5W-30 meeting ACEA A5/B5.
smile.gif

If i where you, i would use a 5w30 a5/b5 engine oil. If you really work it verry hard ( high continious engine load and rpm ) I would consider a 0w30 or a 5w30 meeting acea a3/b4. I you have a diesel particle filter I would use a acea c3 5w30 or 0w30.

You also can use Motul eco energy 5W-30. It meets the Ford specs and claims to have a higher HTHS value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back