Auto-Rx use in Wet Clutch MC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Auto-Rx be safe and effective to use in a wet clutch motorcyle application? If so, would the same 500-750 mile before changing oil routine be applicable?

I added 4 ounces of RX to the oil sump of my Kawi ZX-11 (3.8 qt sump) and didn't suffer any adverse effects. I was not trying to clean the engine but rather just testing to see if I experienced clutch slippage. I notice no change in shifing feel nor did I experience clutch slippage. I rode it for 500 rather hard miles before draining it out.

I suggest that you experiment with caution if you're going to try a extended drain with it. Be very observant with your ears and fingers and listen for unusual sounds and pay attention to the clutch feel. I'd like to see someone run it for a longer duration too just out of curiousity.

FowVay
grin.gif
, my man! What year (miles, filters, etc.) is your Kaw?

I've had mine for two years, bought it with 12K on it and now have 18K. Just switched to Amsoil 10W-40 and noticed an almost immediate & welcome improvement in the shifting. My 1st trip to a Dealer EVER to have any motorcycle serviced was earlier this month for the valve adjustment (every 12K miles, 20K klics, per my manual) & carb sinc.

And I've owned my H2 for 27 years!
burnout.gif

cheers.gif

STORMINORMAN

My ZX-11 is a '98 model and I have 12,000 miles on it.

That thing is a beast. It's hard to believe that its performance is only "middle of the road" by todays standards. I guess the worst part about the ZX is trying to get that stupid grin off of my face after riding it.

I too have run Amsoil 10W-40 and it performed wonderfully. I have used several brands of 10W-40 in an attempt to find a bit more smoothness in the transmission and it amazes me about difference that you notice from one brand to another. The Amsoil performed as well as any and better than most with regard to shift feel.

Please expand on the other 10-40's you have used and your impression of each.
Is Frank here to comment?

[ February 20, 2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Chris ]

Oh jeez, it's been a while since I went through my experimentation phase with this bike but I remember using (all 10W-40 viscosities unless specified differently) regular Mobil, regular Valvoline, regular Castrol GTX, Golden Spectro 4, Delvac-1 5W-40 and Amsoil. I put the regular Mobil 10W-40 in and rode it less than 3 miles and brought it back and drained it. It shifted horribly. The Amsoil and Delvac-1 worked the best and I currently have Delvac-1 in it now.

I had been changing the oil at 3000 mile intervals and after seeing how some engines are shearing the oil out of grade with gear driven cams or variable cam timing I believe I'll stick with this interval and not go farther. I don't ride a lot when the weather gets too hot down here so 3000 miles will last me the summer.

The "middle of the road" is exactly where I need to be when rotating the throttle counterclockwise on my ZX-11!

Honestly now, there are still really only about a half-dozen production bikes out there with the total performance of the ol' ZX-11: and two are also from Kawasaki!
burnout.gif

ZX-12R & ZZ-R1200

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa & GSX-R1000

Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Yamaha YZF-R1

So, do you use Kaw oil filters? Ever tried the RMI-25 product? Water pumps are supposed to be an Achilles' heel on this model. Did you do any oil analysis during your experimentation phase? I'm interested whether your "shearing out of grade" comment is specific or in general as the ZX has neither gear-driven cams or variable valve timing to my knowledge.

Living in Oregon I have the same kind of problem vis'-a-vis' the seasons as you, only reversed: it's really hard for me to want to ride a lot when it is 40 degrees and raining! Thankfully, this year has been really mild: I rode 20 days in a row at the ennd of Jan & beginning of Feb.

cheers.gif

My shearing out of grade comment was based on the transmission shearing the oil similiarly to the way a automobile engine with gear driven cams or variable camshaft control will shear oil.

I have used Emgo filters. Never did analysis on the oil. I use Zerex G-05 coolant with deionized water for the cooling system and I have had no problems whatsoever with it. There is no corrosion at all that I can tell after 4½ years. Coolant gets changed every two years.

I have run up against a few of the newer 600's that have given my ZX a fit. At triple digit speeds I can pull easily on them but those small displacement, lightweight, middle class hot rods are incredibly impressive. They are as fast through the quarter mile as the big 11 and some have top speeds of 160 mph so they're not far off of my top speed of nearly 175 mph.

Auto-Rx at the ratio of 1 ounce per quart of oil
in motorcycle oil reserve will NOT have ANY effects with a "Wet Clutch" and this ratio over 500 miles of driving will clean that bike engine
so when you drop oil and change filter at the 500 mile mark, you will within 100 miles with just straight oil feel the positive effects of the Auto-Rx treatment.

Auto-Rx does not contain any chemistry harmful to wet clutch packs. Cleansing of the plate surfaces would be quite beneficial as an application where clutch chatter exists which can occur with dirty plates.

Yaeh, those newer 600's can prove to be pretty scrappy competition!

With easily over a hundred HP and weighing less than 400 lbs. they tend to put the hurt on a 600 lb. (wet!) ZX-11, especially with a 225+ lb. 50+ year-old rider like me behind the bars! Still, you gotta' love the torque curve on the Zed!

I guess I could always cut off a couple legs & an arm... Dieting is out of the question!
nono.gif

Now that 175 HP ZX-12R weighs less than 500 lbs., so I hear?

I just change my coolant every year: I've yet so see anything other than fresh, green coolant mix come out.

Cheers!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back