AutoRx results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished running Rx using ExxonSuperflow for 800 miles. I had Toyota change the oil bc it was too cold. Not sure what the results were but I'm curious to see if oil consumption goes down and Mpg goes up. I looked at the oil before taking it in and it was very clear. I think the engine was already clean from running M1 at 5k mile intervals. That plus adding S2000 afterwards probably really cleaned it up. So, not much to report, but I will definitely keep an eye on the oil/mpg levels. I think if your running a good synthetic, Rx every 100k miles would be sufficient. I think using a high end synthetic and changing the oil at 5-6k mile intervals should keep the engine very clean. Doing this probably negates the use of Rx.
smile.gif

[ February 16, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I would have to agree. If using a synthetic oil and doing 5k changes or so, Auto-RX is probably a waste of money unless you have 100k on the motor or so.

I had previously mentioned on here that I felt that Mobil 1 didn't do a good enough job of keeping my mom's 130,000 mile Probe GT's engine clean, due to a noisy valvetrain. But I now take that back, somewhat.

A couple of weeks ago I put in Auto-rx, and while I was doing it I looked as best I could into the oil filler to see as much of the valvetrain as I could. It looked perfectly clean in there. There has been no reduction in that valvetrain noise since then, which leads me to believe that her engine's noise is not due to a sludged up valvetrain.

I still think she'll benefit from the treatment, however, as there may be areas of the engine which are a bit dirty, that I cannot see. I am disappointed that her valvetrain noise is not something easily solved here. And it won't be cost effective to tear down this engine to check it out either. My mom drives so few miles now that she'll just keep driving this car until it totally dies. I noticed when I drove it the other day that it's not as powerful as it once was. (not that 164hp ever felt super fast to me anyways, when I've owned cars close to 400hp)

Frank this is the first treatment her car has received.

I am definitely not doubting your product, I'm simply saying that in the case of her engine, I don't believe it's all that dirty inside, not based on what I can see from peeking into the filler cap. And that the valvetrain noise she has is probably not due to any kind of oil related issue, but is probably just age related, some sort of mechanical thing.

But I do bet I will see better oil analysis results with her car after the treatment, just like I did on my Firebird after the first treatment. And I'll be giving it a second treatment in a few weeks.

Sorry Patman was trying to answer two other post above yours all in one post from Auto-Rx, I know you have experienced benefits from using Auto-Rx. A Senior's One Owner 1990 V-6 Buick Regal had a 102,000 miles and used a "Synthetic Oil ( has to be unamed ) for 50,000 of those miles. First filter change showed very little third party abrasives, however second application liquified
carbon, dirt and just general "Crud" synthetic oil's complex additive that literally "painted" the engine metal and held third party abrasives
on this metal, gave away to cleansing power of
Auto-Rx. Valve train looked clean, so did oil dip stick, measurable difference. Auto-Rx extends the MTBF (Mean Time Beteen Failure Rate of oil lubricated parts )and since no one can chemically repair wear the ability of Auto-Rx to alter the effects of wear becomes very significan't

Patman,

If your Mom's Probe is the K series V6, it has hydraulic lash adjusters, so valve adjustment isn't possible. A noisy top end may improve after a second cleaning as the HLA ports clean out. Mazda also included a tension gear on the cam drive to reduce lower RPM noise. Sometimes the loading on the tensioner deteriorates over time, creating more noise. Absolutely no other effect.

Actually the K series is a pretty good V6, great balance, good rev limits, huge stress margins, although not overly powerful per displacement by today's standards.

If you've not found it already, try Julian Bradly's web page http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/probemx/index.htm for a real wealth of MX 6/Probe related info.

Good luck,

Rich

Thanks for the info Rich! My mom's Probe is a 94 GT, so it has the engine you're talking about.

It's been an amazing car, when she needed a new car in late 93, she asked me for my advice, and I recommended this one. It was replacing her 1988 300ZX. I knew the Probe would offer her what she wanted, and she's been very pleased with it.

I will probably do two Auto-rx treatments to it then, the one I'm doing now, and then another one in the fall.

By the way Frank, I wanted to thank you again, I recieved that supply of Auto-rx you sent me tonight!

fruit.gif

[ February 19, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman,

From your description of the noise you might also want to check out the Tech Service note on Julian's web site concerning decarboning and upper engine noise.

I've a 96 GT along with our two Miatas and have enjoyed it immensely. 111000 miles and the only problems are 1) EGR port is carboned up so I get an occasional OBD II love note and 2) back bank valve cover gaskets are starting to leak. These, of course, are the full day job to replace since the intake manifold has to come off first. I've just started Frank's auto RX treatment in the hope of getting enough seal improvement to avoid THAT chore for a while.

Good luck,

Rich

Patman did you treat your "Mom's" engine 2 times per application instructions for Auto-Rx ? and
high mileage engines (over 100,000 miles ) you
might consider changing oil on this "Probe to a "Dino" and see if valve noise improves significantly if not a valve adjustment is in order. Synthetic Oil takes longer for Auto-Rx to work with (750 miles )as it complex additive package fights for the metal and it takes these extra miles for Auto-Rx to start cleansing engine . If you did these steps than you can bet all third party abrasives were removed in liquid form via the filter. No oil or oil additive cleans engine metal deep enough to make much of a difference. You other guys should cut open your filter.

Rich, my mom had her valve cover gaskets replaced a year ago. It was leaking oil like crazy! She also has a power steering leak, but it's been that way for 4-5 years now and we just keep topping it up. We topped it up with some stop leak stuff and it reduced the leak quite a bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back