AEM dryflow filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any one had any experience with an AEM dry flow filter or another similar brand. The K&N cone style filter on my GTP is trashed and I was thinking of trying the AEM filter but I have not seen anyone discuss this filter. From what I understand it is a washable filter with out the oil.
And
GO

If you click on search then move cursor down and click on advance, enter the search term "AEM dryflow" on the next screen you will find some posts about AEM dryflow filter.

I think AEM dryflow and AFE Pro-dry-S filter are very good.

I have one on my Subaru, but it is the panel type to fit the Subaru's factory air cleaner box, not a cone filter. I'll probably get mocked for saying it, but I can tell a difference. Seems to pull slightly better near the top end when throttle is opened up. AEM is an owned subsidiary of K&N. My AEM DryFlow arrived with K&N shipping labels on the box. It is washable and the media is dry, not oiled. Seems solidly built.

AEM had SWRI conduct testing in accordance with ISO 5011:2000, Inlet air cleaning equipment for internal combustion engines and compressors, on one of their DryFlow cone filters vs. several competitors (including oiled K&N). Here is a link to download the test report as a PDF:

AEM DryFlow test results - SWRI

I replaced the K&N on my '68 Camaro with an AEM. It looks really well built and works fine. I always forget to clean & oil K&N filters so AEM is the way to go for me.

I also bought their "prefilter" (a fine nylon bag) to go over it. Since in my application the filter element is exposed to the engine compartment, any drops of oil or liquid could get on the element.

I have one AEM dryflow on a Silverado for almost 5 years and over 100k miles.

All you do is wash it once a year or so, and it has held up great.

I think the AEM Dryflow media is in the top tier but, per square inch,it doesn't flow as well as a K&N or some other "High Performance." In fact, when I flowbenched a drop in element in my F150 airbox two years ago, it flow slightly less than a new Motorcraft element. Didn't stop me from using it, as I am after efficiency rather than a few CFM at 5000+ rpm.

I had one on my '04 Accord. It was stoutly built and easily cleaned. Never had a build up of crud in the throttle body/plate.

123007025.jpg

Thanks for the answers! I shall be ordering a new air filter tonight and just wanted to make sure it would flow enough but filter enough for my ~ 400 HP GTP

I have a AEM ProDry (?) on my '99 Civic and one on my girlfriend's '01 Mustang. So far so good.

I like that it doesn't require any oil to be re-used, simply tap it or rinse under tap water.

Had to replace my Dryflow cone type after 115,000 and 6yrs of service . The pleats were seperating from the rubber and rubber body was starting to dry out and crack.The replacement has the screen mesh. Should be more durable.

Last edited:
Based on cleaning methods, I would (and did) pick aFe Pro Dry S and Airaid Synthmax Dry over AEM. AEM still wants you to buy their synthetic air filter cleaner for cleaning. This was what turned me away.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Based on cleaning methods, I would (and did) pick aFe Pro Dry S and Airaid Synthmax Dry over AEM. AEM still wants you to buy their synthetic air filter cleaner for cleaning. This was what turned me away.

Only since K&N came into the picture. Before that, they suggested Simple Green. Now in the FAQ they suggest their whiz bang stuff or "a mild multi-purpose cleaner." The AEM is pretty durable media.

I haven't seen the Airaid dry but there isn't too much to choose between the AEM and the AFE on the performance level. The AEM may have a slight edge on initial efficiency based on the info I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back