Rislone works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 1999 Toyota Corolla CE,
About 39,000 miles, the valve starting to chattering, when I start in the morning, and about 5 minutes so later the chatter goes away.

I took car to local Toyota dealer for the chatter, they told me to leave over night, next day the service man told me that it is normal to hear valve chatter in the morning.

Now I have about 51,200 miles on odo meter and
still making the chatter. After visiting Bobs Additives, fuel, oil and cleaners site, I decide to try the Rislone.
I changed the oil adding 1 qt of Rislone, According to the direction on the bottle. After 250 miles or so, the valve chatter seems quieting down. Seems it is working. I am going to keep driving or about 1,000 miles and change the oil.
Can I leave the Rislone until next oil change 3000 miles? Any one can help, please?

I was going to try Auto-rx cleaner but unable to
purchase, no local auto part store carrys.

Thanks for the good tips on the board.

jsleesi

You can leave it in there as long as you wish as it's simply replacing the 1qt. of oil that you would have needed otherwise.

Keep us posted.

Always thought Marvel Mystery Oil and Rislone were two old timey additives that (unlike their more modern successors) didn't try to promise too much.

I'd love to see some one do a UOA --first with a base reference oil and then adding a quart of additive. My assumption is that Rislone and MMO would both increase detergency at the cost of viscosity.

Rislone has updated their formula, and their chart of the viscosity test shows very little if any loss in viscosity. That was the goal of the newer formula. It is odd that the additives that don't really promise very much seem to perform better. Another example of this that I can think of is Restore. Then there's Zmax...
Jason

quote:

next day the service man told me that it is normal to hear valve chatter in the morning.

right, so why did you proceed to 'fix' this normal occurrence?

even with mobil 1, my civic makes an awful racket in sub-zero starts but later you cannot hear a thing once it's warmed up.

i wouldn't waste money on trying to fix such a thing.

I agree with Greg. If you had the opportunity to look inside your engine it would look like new and then you'd understand there is nothing for the Rislone to clean up (assuming your engine oil has been changed at the factory recommended intervals). Toyotas have always used mechanical valve lifters and at times they make noise, but are incredibly durable.

Mr. Greg,

Answer to your comments, I hate to hear the chatter every morning, and always thought in my mind that, " If you have will to fix some thing,
I know there are alot of people much smartter than
I am or even Toyota Service people.

After I joined Bobistheoilguy, I have educated myself on certain things that I never knew before.

Now my valve chattering is almost gone and I feel
really good about it and I even have more smooth
engine running and I am very happy about the Rislone's result.

Again my many thanks to the all the good people on the board for good advice and good recommendations.
patriot.gif

jsleesi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back