PCV Valve problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if someone experience PCV valve problem that create huge oil consumption in the car ? If yes, can anyonse share how bad is the oil consumption ?
Thanks in advance

WHen my old Dakota needed a PCV oil usage doubled, from about a quart every 1500 miles to about a quart every 750 miles.

John

Is this happening to you? I have heard the PCV valves can lead to contimination and consumption but it is a cheap part that I replace every year....

When the PCV system in my Audi froze on a cold December morning, it burned 1.5 quarts in the 10 mile ride home from my friend's house. It fouled the plugs and threw a CEL for misfires on all cyliders.

I think that Audi's venting system on the 2.7t engine is prone to doing this, so this may be an extreme example of consumption.

The PCV systems keep pressures low, or at a vacuum in the crankcase.
When they break, you can have excess pressure to leak out of seals and gaskets, and also past the rings [less oil control].

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
When the PCV system in my Audi froze on a cold December morning, it burned 1.5 quarts in the 10 mile ride home from my friend's house. It fouled the plugs and threw a CEL for misfires on all cylinders.

My car/LS1 engines actually has/have a PCV valve 'heater wire' for this express purpose (a heat conductive wire with a metal band which wraps around the valve inside of the rubber mounting grommet).

Sometimes the GM drivetrain engineers DO think of everything!
wink.gif
lol.gif

i have found out that the PCV helps to keep moisture out of the crankcase. and most if not all acids are water base.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
When the PCV system in my Audi froze on a cold December morning, it burned 1.5 quarts in the 10 mile ride home from my friend's house. It fouled the plugs and threw a CEL for misfires on all cylinders.

My car/LS1 engines actually has/have a PCV valve 'heater wire' for this express purpose (a heat conductive wire with a metal band which wraps around the valve inside of the rubber mounting grommet).

wink.gif
lol.gif

I never heard of this!My 2002 z28 never had it.I'm assuming it was factory installed?

Well, I am still monitoring my engine after changing the PCV, it may make sense the high oil consumption is caused by this, since there is no smoke on tailpipe, no CEL, but it swallow almost 1 quart per 1000 km. Maybe I should through SI-1 to help minimize the damage

Originally Posted By: mrflex65

wink.gif
lol.gif

I never heard of this!My 2002 z28 never had it.I'm assuming it was factory installed?

GM has had heated PCV valves on some vehicles for a while now. I'm pretty sure there were heated PCV setups and catch cans on some of the Quad4 engines back in the 90s.

Ford, by way of comparison, will confuse things by offering a particular year/model/engine combination with three PCV valves, one unheated; one electrically heated; and one heated with engine coolant. To order a simple PCV valve through a dealership you have to actually look at it or get the calibration ID because a VIN may not be enough information to know which part is used. I guess they had a better idea again.

One thing I've learned over the years is that you always do better buying the OEM PCV valve instead of the auto parts store ones. Why? Because the OEM is spec'd exactly for your car whereas the parts store ones cover a wider range if vehicles - so you won't be exact. I learned this lesson many years ago on my 87 Buick GN where I had changed the PCV with a Purolator and I suddenly got and oil leak and erratic idle. I remember reading in a GN newsletter about GM PCV valves for turbo Buicks being the only one to use. I replaced that Purolator with new GM part and oil leak and bad idle gone. The flow properties were enough cause issues with the Purolator. The GM one was also only $3 more but was also a better quality part.

Just my 2 cents..

Last edited:
I have seen plugged PCV valves cause oil to vent into the atmosphere side of the intake through what should be a suction line when the PCV is operating properly. I have also seen plugged PCV valve cause oil to push out past seals and leak. I think it depends on how the ventilation system is designed.

Both of my infinitis will pull liquid oil through the PCV and into the intake manifold under high vacuum.

I have also seen many cars with a non-functional PCV, blocked PCV hoses due to buildup, etc. that showed no ill effects.

Originally Posted By: mrflex65

wink.gif
lol.gif

Yes, from the factory, and if one goes to buy the whole PCV valve and tube assembly for my model year from GM, they include a new one as well.

Maybe they dropped it on the '01s & '02s (along with the earlier EGR system my car has)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back