What octane in your 4 stroke lawn mower engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
I bought a gallon of Shell 93 for the mowers (b&s675/hondagvc160) for the [censored] of it. Usually I'll use 87, now Im starting to second guess buying the high octane. Is there anything to be concerned with, or is it fine to run high octane in small engines?

High octane in the small engine is not necessary and probably just a waste of money. They run fine for years and years on cheap gas.
spankme2.gif

I use premium in my small engines. I keep the fuel in a 2.5 gallon can which will last me most of the summer. I've heard that the premium grade has more cleaning addives. Whether that's true or not, it makes me feel better and the cost difference amounts to 50 cents. I do add an ounce of MMO because I think it will counter act the effect of ethanol on the fuel systems of the small engines.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Interestingly, my Echo string trimmer calls for at least 89 octane fuel.

Same here. Some of my equipment calls for 89, so that's what I buy and use it in everything, including the mower which doesn't specifically require 89.

I was getting 91 ethanol-free from a local station that all the boaters got their fuel from. They have since closed, so now it's back to standard 87 with a bit of the marine Sta-Bil.

I don't have a mower but my dad runs 89 Shell in it. This is because he fills the lawnmower gas can at the same time he fills the Grand Prix. I let him off the hook for not having to put V power in the Prix but he must buy mid and Shell.

I converted everybody but one coworker to buying Shell. My boss puts Vpower in his mower, 600rr, RX330, Avalon, WS6. LOL

Last edited:
my lawn mower will run fine off of 87 but i just put 93 in everything since the 2 strokes require a higher octane.

I can't see what you'd possibly gain from running anything higher than 87 octane fuel in your average small air cooled mower engine, but if a couple gallons lasts you a long time, it's not harming your wallet any.

I don't know that "premium" contains any more additives at the same pump as the 87 and all grades in my area are advertized in having 10% ethanol. Have so for decades.

Joel

I am running v-power 93 in my brigs mower, it does have more detergents in it and sometimes the premium is ethanol free E0. Plus, my 2 stroke trimmer and lawnboy require 89 or higher so the can can be used for 2 stroke mix as well.

I run 89 in everything. The Echo specs 89 so I just fill up both gas cans at once with 89. I can't tell a bit of difference in the generator, trimmer, mower, leaf blower, or chipper with 89.

just like NickR: mine B&S675 flathead runs on 87 octane and nothing else (same with my other Hondas, etc.) don't benefits from running anything higher than that (afterall: it's just a lowly flathead).

Q.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I run 89 in everything. The Echo specs 89 so I just fill up both gas cans at once with 89. I can't tell a bit of difference in the generator, trimmer, mower, leaf blower, or chipper with 89.

Is that my quote in your signature?

I have a John Deere push mower that I bought new in 1996. It has always had 87 octane "cat [censored]" in it, still starts and runs good. Wished I owned as many acres as that mower has covered.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Interestingly, my Echo string trimmer calls for at least 89 octane fuel.

Same here. Some of my equipment calls for 89, so that's what I buy and use it in everything, including the mower which doesn't specifically require 89.

Have an Echo SRM2400. About 12 years old. Alwyas used 87 octane but drop SeaFoam in my gallon mix. Helps with the ethanol, at lest I think it does!!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back