2005 Ford Focus 2.3 - lifetime air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into a used 2005 Focus ZX4 ST with 84k miles. Confused about the air filter design, does it really work?

Also what maintenance should I consider doing other than replacing all fluids, fuel filter, cabin air filter...etc?

2005 zx4 se
At 110,000 miles mine is still working I think.

Get the alignment checked. I had to put new upper control arms in the back. Handling was unsafe at highway speeds in the wet.

Yes the air filter will last a long time. There should be a restriction gauge that will let you know when it needs changing. FWIW the only time I ever sell them is for vehicles that have been in an accident and the old filter is damaged.

The '05 ST I had a few years ago was a blast to drive, but had problems. Since new it would randomly (1/40 starts) take 4-5 seconds of cranking to start. The gear box was kind of clunky and, while stopped, would take some major finagling to get into 1st or reverse -really wasn't that big of a deal, but did cause some minor headaches here and there. Finally, just before I traded it I was getting random CEL's for airbag sensors.

I sold mine with ~46kmi on it, and never did figure out the air filter design. IIRC, it's the same engine and filter box from the Ranger, so if any 2.3L Duratec Ranger guys are out there, they can probably answer as well.

Sounds like you've got the new-to-you checklist down pat.

Last edited:
What other maintenance should I do? Clean the throttle body, MAF, PCV valve? I suppose I should just go search the Focus forum, I'm guessing there's an active one somewhere.

Originally Posted By: zanzabar
Looking into a used 2005 Focus ZX4 ST with 84k miles. Confused about the air filter design, does it really work?

Also what maintenance should I consider doing other than replacing all fluids, fuel filter, cabin air filter...etc?

spend $$$ before purchase for a full inspection.

if you still want it you have ammo to lower the price.

if it comes back good you know its good.

I do my own inspections.

In the process of updating the maintenance on this car. Everything looks pretty good on it, but the power steering fluid was dirtier than anything I've ever seen. I ended up doing a suck out the reservoir and refill with new fluid about 6 times (1 entire qt of Mercon ATF) and it finally started to have a red tint instead of looking like dark brown paint. Also, the throttle body was incredibly sticky, took sand paper to scrape off the buildup on it.

I'm still baffled by the intake design, it looks like the inlet is up on the cowl by the bottom of the drivers side of the windshield, then it runs down through the wheel well, up in front of the engine compartment to the air filter then across the top/front of the engine compartment into the throttle body and into the manifold. Lots of bends in there, is all that really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back