2004 Volvo XC 70 Transmission fluid 31,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a sample from my 2004 Volvo XC70's transmission fluid. We bought the car with 46,000 miles and the dealer did a 100% flush at 50,000 miles. Our local independent Volvo repair shop did a drain and fill at 81,000 miles using factory volvo fluid which only got a few quarts out. This sample was taken after that drain and fill at 81,000 because I was told by a Volvo forum the fluid looked old and cloudy still based on these pictures of the fluid:
100_3517.jpg

100_3516.jpg

I'm going to take it back to the dealer for a full flush since my independent shop does not have a flush machine. This sample has 31,000 miles on it and is a mix of the oil fluid from back at 50,000 miles and the new fluid added at 81,000 miles just a couple weeks ago. I have never seen a transmission fluid report so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The 1st number is this sample and the 2nd number is the universal averages from Blackstone Labs. Blackstone also said their universal averages are based on 24,000 miles so my sample has 7,000 more miles on it then the averages:

ALUMINUM 24/21
CHROMIUM 0/0
IRON 37/66
COPPER 81/96
LEAD 60/41
TIN 0/4
MOLYBDENUM 0/1
NICKEL 1/1
MANGANESE 1/2
SILVER 0/0
TITANIUM 0/0
POTASSIUM 3/3
BORON 226/82
SILICON 22/22
SODIUM 5/8
CALCIUM 241/135
MAGNESIUM 2/151
PHOSPHORUS 626/325
ZINC 18/83
BARIUM 1/3

SUS viscosity @ 210 F 45.0
cSt viscosity @ 100 C 5.73
Flashpoint in F 390

Most of my wear metals are lower then average which is good except lead which is high and has me a bit concerned, hopefully it is not a problem. The car runs well and shifts nice. It has 81,000 total miles on it currently. Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
I use Mobil syn ATF in my T5. It takes me around 10 qrts to do a complete flush if I remember right. It's very easy to do on your own, as the fluid is expensive enough. I currently have ~181,000 mi on mine, no tranny troubles at all.

Looks pretty good...you can't really tell condition from color...but it's not as clear or red as fluid I've seen come out with fewer miles. I would change it, given the AW-55-50's preference for clean fluid.

But I sure wouldn't take it to the dealer for a flush...didn't I say that on volvoxc.com? The dealer will use their fluid to flush it and a flush takes about 14 QTs. Their fluid is rebadged Mobil 3309, except instead of $6/QT for 3309, they charge over $26/QT, so you're paying about $300 in wasted mark-up.

Go back to volvoxc.com, read up on the "Gibbons Method" which is your basic cooler line flush. Pick up a case + 2QTs of Toyota T-IV at the local dealer (also rebadged Mobil 3309) at a price of about $6/QT and flush it yourself. If you can change oil, you can do this....

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I use Mobil syn ATF in my T5. It takes me around 10 qrts to do a complete flush if I remember right. It's very easy to do on your own, as the fluid is expensive enough. I currently have ~181,000 mi on mine, no tranny troubles at all.

I would consider not using the M1 for your tranny. M1 is great fluid and M1 used to be recommended for JWS-3309, but recent formulations are no longer recommended for JWS-3309 applications. When asked about M1 in JWS-3309 fluid applications, Mobil recommended their own Mobil 3309...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I would consider not using the M1 for your tranny. M1 is great fluid and M1 used to be recommended for JWS-3309, but recent formulations are no longer recommended for JWS-3309 applications. When asked about M1 in JWS-3309 fluid applications, Mobil recommended their own Mobil 3309...
Interesting. I've used M1 ATF for about a decade. No problems or shift issues. Manual says "Dexron IIE/III & Mercon. Capacity 8 qrts." My AT is a 4 speed, not a 5. I don't think our cars share the same AT. Does your manual specifically indicate JWS-3309 fluid? Still I'll keep your suggestion in mind and make a note in my engine log book. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Interesting. I've used M1 ATF for about a decade. No problems or shift issues. Manual says "Dexron IIE/III & Mercon. Capacity 8 qrts." My AT is a 4 speed, not a 5. I don't think our cars share the same AT. Does your manual specifically indicate JWS-3309 fluid? Still I'll keep your suggestion in mind and make a note in my engine log book. Thanks.

My mistake then, I forgot that your car required a DEX III...I used to own an 850 that was DEX III...but the two I have now are strictly a JWS-3309...

You're fine with the M1...and I would use it if I could...

Last edited:
Wear looks good and vis is typical of a DEX III product after use. I'd not worry about the lead; not exceptional enough to warrant panic.

Last edited:
You don't need a flush machine for this transmission. You can easily do a full flush in your driveway, or your independent can do it. If you go to IPD's website and look up their flush kit you can see an instruction video or printed instructions. It's probably the easiest transmission to flush, ever.

That said, I think it looks fine and could keep doing regular drain and fills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back