Any Known Issues w/ '90-'99 Jeep Grand Cherokees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am needing a new vehicle. I've been looking at old Jeep Grand Cherokees. I'm aiming for the 6 cyl, 1995-1999. I've been driving a 2002 Subaru Outback wagon, 2.5L 4 cyl. It's toast now.

I know the inline 6 has a good reputation. What mechanical issues are these cars known for? As a used car buyer, what should I look out for? (I'm in Minneapolis, MN, so if anyone is selling one, let me know!)
Price range is up to $2400.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I'd look into a '93-'98 Grand Cherokee. In 1999 the 4.0L Grands used a head casting which is prone to cracking. Any '93-'98 Grand Cherokee won't have this head. They are reliable vehicles and easy to fix yourself. Parts are cheap and available practically everywhere. The one thing with the Grands is that the transmissions (chrysler) can be a bit sensitive to heat. Overheat the trans once and you could be looking at a new trans. The solution to this is to use a large transmission cooler and you should be good to go.

Another reliable option is the Cherokee. The Cherokees also come with the 4.0L 6 cylinder, and have a bullet proof AW4 automatic transmission that is actually made by toyota. The Cherokee is probably a bit tougher drivetrain wise over the Grand since it has the stronger trans, but it also has less comfort features than the Grand Cherokee. The best years for the Cherokee are 1991-1999. The 2000 and 2001 models had the same crack prone heads that came on the 1999 Grands. I find both the Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee to be very easy to work on, and both have great parts availability. 200k miles is nothing for the 4.0, and I've seen a few with around 400k on them.

The engine will outlast the body in these jeeps, so I'd say the main thing to look for is rust.
thumbsup2.gif

93-98 and 99 Grands are two different vehicles.

Watch out in the rust belt, the unibodies on the Grands tend to rot out and just drop suspension control arms. They also have the similar frame disappearing behind the rear axle problem that Cherokees are prone to.

Unless you're lucky enough to get a 93, the 94+ Grand Cherokees with the 4.0 came with a garbage Chrysler transmission. They put a bulletproof engine infront of a junk ttransmission.

If you get one, put a giant trans cooler on and keep the fluid fresh.

The electronic climate controls go berzerk all the time. I'd try to find one with the fewest bells and whistles.

I have an Aisin-Warner transmission in my Volvo wagon and it's doing great at 235k.
01.gif

Around here, and this could be a local thing, those jeeps are owned and maintained by complete idiots who feel like they "need" 4wd for snow. A good one is hard to find.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'd look into a '93-'98 Grand Cherokee. In 1999 the 4.0L Grands used a head casting which is prone to cracking. Any '93-'98 Grand Cherokee won't have this head. They are reliable vehicles and easy to fix yourself. Parts are cheap and available practically everywhere. The one thing with the Grands is that the transmissions (chrysler) can be a bit sensitive to heat. Overheat the trans once and you could be looking at a new trans. The solution to this is to use a large transmission cooler and you should be good to go.

Another reliable option is the Cherokee. The Cherokees also come with the 4.0L 6 cylinder, and have a bullet proof AW4 automatic transmission that is actually made by toyota. The Cherokee is probably a bit tougher drivetrain wise over the Grand since it has the stronger trans, but it also has less comfort features than the Grand Cherokee. The best years for the Cherokee are 1991-1999. The 2000 and 2001 models had the same crack prone heads that came on the 1999 Grands. I find both the Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee to be very easy to work on, and both have great parts availability. 200k miles is nothing for the 4.0, and I've seen a few with around 400k on them.

The engine will outlast the body in these jeeps, so I'd say the main thing to look for is rust.
thumbsup2.gif

Disagree. I was riding in my FIL'S Cherokee when the 4.0 went kaput. I was at fault along with BIL and my oldest son because after around 400K of service and the last two years on the same 25W-60 Chevron Supreme and 38K miles because I was riding shotgun the engine failure is my fault.

4.0 ZJ's (93-98) this is what I've observed as common problems on this generation after 100K.

Cracked exhaust manifold, appeared to be a [censored] shoot. Easy to check by just sniffing around under the hood.

Clogged CCV system, equivalent to a PCV system. Have two orifices on the valve cover that are notorious for clogging up on vehicles run on to long of oci's. These are a bit of a pain to remove with out breaking. Not really sure how to check if your just checking out a vehicle to buy.

Worn out steering box, usually an issue with neglected fluid. These can be adjusted to some point to tighten up again but it'll never have the super tight steering it once had.

Worn out tierods and balljoints if it doesn't track straight on the road after tightening the box, look at getting these replaced.

Common leaks include the oil filter adapter on the passenger side of the block, the rear main seal and the valve cover seal. All relatively easy to take care of and can be checked for by crawling underneath and looking around by the oil pan.

Rusted out rocker panels, might not see it at first (I know the Laredo's have plastic trim covers) but you can easily tell by crawling underneath and looking at the pinch seams. It'll start getting nasty quick. A oil or wax based spray lube can prevent this and or stop it from spreading.

If it has a Dana 35c then watch out for any strange noises. The bearings ride directly on the axle shafts and if the level isn't kept in check then the entire shafts will have to be replaced. Conveniently Chrysler opted for a rubber fill/check plug which is prone to seeping. Additionally look for leaks/seeping where the axle tubes meet the pumpkin. Axles (35c and 44a) that have been previously overloaded/hit to hard on the trails develop a leak at those junctions.

Trackbar and control arm mount points, rust just loves to start attacking those areas. Certain years had greaseable tierods upper balljoints, to bad 90% of owners didn't know that. The front driveshaft also has a greaseable slip joint.

Bushings, the control arm bushings can be checked for major play by coming to speed (about 30-35mph) and abruptly letting of the gas. Play in the bushings will allow a "shift" that you'll notice. Similarly if you accelerate from the same speed you may also notice a shift. If you hear front end clunking/bumping then check the front sway bar bushings they may need replacement, can easily be seen by crawling underneath the front (2 clamp style) and on the sides behind the front tires (two doughnut ones on the swaybar endlinks).

Loud noise from the front, like a wheel bearing? They are sealed unit hubs unfortunately, about $90 a pop. Can be checked by the good 'ol lift and wiggle test.

The 242 transfer case is usually preferable to the 249. The 242 has 2wd drive mode and is chain driven compared to the all time 4wd 249 which has a viscous coupler. The coupler alone sells for $300 and can last past 100K, but it's life is severely reduced if all 4 tires aren't the same diameter. Can be checked by doing tight "8" turns in a parking lot. Manifests as skipping/hoping when the coupler is toast.

Yeah the 42re trans is sensitive to heat and fluid condition. I'd look for one with a factory equipped tow package to better your odds, those came standard with an aux. trans cooler visible by peeking through the grill.

Vehicle information display center (on limited models) usually develops cracks on the circuit board or the plug pins become loose. It'll usually flash in reset mode if this is present.

Neutral safety switch, located externally on the side of the trans controls the reverse lights. If it's in reverse and the lights aren't then it's the culprit. Can be disassembled and cleaned though.

Crankshaft position sensor, this will definitely need to be replaced on anything with around 100K. It'll cut the spark completely randomly while driving at any speed when it's on its way out, a bit scary on the interstate.

If it's got high idle on start, easy fix, idle air control valve in the throttle body.

Driver door hinge pins, relatively easy to fix. Just common wear item appears as a sagging door that catches on the body.

Well that's the major stuff I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps you out and good luck.

If you can stomach an older Jeep Cherokee, I've got one for sale right now in Lakeville. Take a look in the for sale section - it has the link to Craigslist.

Mine is an '88 Cherokee, and it was in Colorado until 2002 with no salt. Thus the rust level is more like a Late 90's Cherokee.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Disagree. I was riding in my FIL'S Cherokee when the 4.0 went kaput. I was at fault along with BIL and my oldest son because after around 400K of service and the last two years on the same 25W-60 Chevron Supreme and 38K miles because I was riding shotgun the engine failure is my fault.

I'm confused about what you are disagreeing with.
confused.gif

I also believe the 98-2000 4.0 had head issues. And I agree having a grand in the family before was rather miserable . Fan motors always went out cf joint were always breaking 3 times in 70,000 miles. Fan relay a couple times and the transmission leaked worse than an old harley. Transmission went out at 126,000 but had issues for 30,000 before that. It went out the day we traded it in on that cash for clunkers Program. My old rusted ford truck pushed that Jeep to the clunkers line where it belonged . That was a 2000jeep my dad has a 99 Cherokee classic and he has abused the [censored] out of it its basically a lifted off road buggy that he still drives down the road. He's rolled it on its side and changes the oil every 30,000 on Dino has 170,000 and has the original tranny fluid. It won't die biggest job its ever had done was o2 sensors and water pumps. It won't die. Not sure what one year difference makes but its night and day

"The ECMs in the 93-98s are known for failing." the fix is a electric connector that is soldered to steel, but solder doesnt stick to steel. fix it with silver solder.

I have a 2001 and the pressure sensor and governor have gone twice in the SelecTrac transmission. OEM parts were used both times. About $550 a pop.

I am not sure about the heads on the 4.0 around that age, but my engine went south with piston skirt damage.

And Teves calipers need to be replaced.

Most of what I mention is for Jeep Grand Cherokee's a little older than I think you are looking at.

However its my favorite car to drive (after a reman engine)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back