ProLong Transmission Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a used 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage in 2000. I liked the car but the automatic transmission always seemed to shift poorly. It just seemed to slip a little each time it shifted. I remembered that when I bought it there was a charge of I believe it was $95.00 for ProLong engine and transmission treatment for the car. I wasn't really happy with this but I still liked the car and I purchased it anyway. There was also a ProLong sticker under the hood. The car had 20,000 miles when I bought it and a year latter when the car had 30,000 miles I changed the transmission fluid. This car had a drain plug for draining the transmission and also a spin-on transmission fluid filter so it was an easy job to do. When I had performed the transmission service I just could not believe how much better the car shifted. It felt like I was driving a new car! The shifts were much firmer. The ProLong treatment had been causing the transmission to slip badly for 10,000 miles
mad.gif
! I do have a copy of the service done to my car at Capitol City Chevrolet in Sacramento, CA and they did list adding this crap to my oil and trans. fluid before putting it up for sale. I think if I had continued to drive this car for a year or two longer I would likely have ruined my transmission. Anyway I have posted on this board before as NevadaDesert. There was a problem with my password so now I am Sin City (I live in Las Vegas).

[ February 11, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Anyone with info/experience on this product?

"No PTFE resins (Teflon), Moly, zinc or other solids, etc." "Will not affect clutches or bands." "Contains petroleum distillates."

Supposedly OK for Auto or Manual transmissions.

Interesting that you remove 8 oz. of "gear oil" from manual trans but just add it to existing or fresh ATF?
confused.gif

More Snake Oil? Opinions, please.

"Prolong Super Lubricants Settles FTC Charges--Performance Claims for Motor Oil Additive Were Unsubstantiated"
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/9909/prolong.htm

If they lie about their engine oil product, why consider them for a transmission product?

LubeGard is the only additive I'd consider for a transmission, or Auto-Rx or Neutra for cleaning 1000 miles before a flush.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back