What to look for in used washer / dryer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, We've only had Whirlpools or equivalent (Kennmore) since we've been married. Our Whirlpools lasted on average 8-9 years. When they broke, they weren't worth fixing. This las replacement cycle(within the past year), we decided to switch to Maytag. We shall see. I doubt it will be better. My wife washes every load (except delicates) on Super Duty, and there's no changing her. I do my own laundry -- on "Normal" cycle.

My wife and I want a washer with an agitator!!! When we moved three years ago we left our washer and dryer to help sweethen the deal on our house. My mother-in-law bought us a new washer and dryer as a housewarming gift. It's a front loading Sears HE washer,and it doesn't clean nearly as good as our old one did. No way!!!

That is a case of operator error. Having used both, it is not even close: a front-loader is vastly better, by orders of magnitude. But it is unforgiving of misuse and NEEDS to be used correctly. Use ONLY the HE detergent, use ONLY the very small amount required (a full load in my mother's uses about a tablespoon). Compared to mine, it does a better job washing a larger load with half the water and less than one-eighth the detergent. It's also gentler on delicate items.

Been chugging along with my amana washer/dryer.

Under 600 for the pair, about 6 years ago from lowes.

Basic top loader. The key to these things is to make sure they are 100 percent level and never overload either one.

Should last quite a while longer.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That is a case of operator error. Having used both, it is not even close: a front-loader is vastly better, by orders of magnitude. But it is unforgiving of misuse and NEEDS to be used correctly. Use ONLY the HE detergent, use ONLY the very small amount required (a full load in my mother's uses about a tablespoon). Compared to mine, it does a better job washing a larger load with half the water and less than one-eighth the detergent. It's also gentler on delicate items.

Agreed
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back