Auto-Rx /Moly plating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me using Auto-Rx in the maintenance dose of 2-3 oz every change affects the ability of moly to plate to operating surfaces? I use Schaeffer's 7000 so this is a concern. Thanks

Thats a really good question. I'm not sure but I will be looking for the response.
smile.gif

Just speaking from a theoretical standpoint, I don't see any problems since there are two different "attraction" mechanisms going on.

Check the UOA and see if anyone has used a moly-type oil and RX at the same time. Maybe some conclusions can be drawn from those.

I'm running Schaeffer Supreme 7000 right now, along with a 3oz dose of Auto-rx, and will have the analysis results with about 4000 miles on it around the middle of March.

I have seen Auto-RX used both at cleaning levels 2 oz. per qt , and 2 to 3 oz.s as a maintenance dosage using mostly Schaeffers ( moly additized ) products with VERY low wear values.

While I am not a chemist, tribologically speaking I see no competition for metal surface area at high pressure (heat) zones.

The way I understand the functions of both compounds is that Auto-RX attacks/attachs to carbon deposits, Moly will only bond to clean metal surfaces not multi composition carbon deposits at high heat areas.

[ February 10, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

The way I understand the functions of both compounds is that Auto-RX attacks/attachs to carbon deposits, Moly will only bond to clean metal surfaces not multi composition carbon deposits at high heat areas.

And if that is the case, theoretically speaking, Auto-RX should help the Moly to bond to the surfaces that were just cleaned.

Another analogy, with all the risks of doing science by similarity, would be to note that Redline has both a high ester content and very high moly content. If that works, then it's certainly reasonble to think that Auto-RX is compatible with the appropriate dose of moly for barrier protection.

Rich

[ February 11, 2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: RichSD ]

Here are the results of a 6000 mile Schaeffer interval, with 2 oz auto-Rx added about 1800 miles into the interval.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000197#000000

Today, I mailed a sample off to the the lab: Schaeffer blend 10w30, 9300 miles
shocked.gif
, w/Auto-Rx:1.5 oz at fill, 2 oz at ~3400 miles, another 1.5 oz at ~7150 miles. I'll post the results when they arrive. It seems, though, that Schaeffer oil & Auto-Rx make a great combination!

[ February 11, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

Stuart - Somewhere along the line I missed your analysis. Extremely impressive. I will be very anxious to see the results of your latest report when returned. Again, thanks to all that replied.
This board is extremely helpful!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back