Results with Auto-rx in Toyota Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been hanging around this board for quite a few months now and I’ve really enjoyed the information that I’ve found here. I’ve been introduced to some great products that I’ve tried out on my 1990 Toyota pickup, including Redline gear oils and Auto-rx.

To give you some background, I do a lot of short trip driving with this truck since I have a really short commute to work. As a result, the truck only has 84K on it, which is quite low for a 1990 model. It rarely has an opportunity to get good and hot in winter weather since I don’t do much freeway driving. This is a carbureted 4-cylinder model. It has had a steady diet of Mobil 1 since about 25K. I had the valve cover off to do a valve adjustment recently and the engine was spotless. The Mobil 1 has been doing a really good job of keeping the engine clean.

As the weather started cooling off last fall, I noticed some pinging as the engine started to warm up, even with mid grade gasoline (88 octane). I live at about 4,200 feet in elevation, so the octane ratings aren’t as high here. Regular unleaded is 85 octane. I figured that I probably had some carbon build up. I ran some Redline Fuel System Cleaner through with one tank of gas and it helped the pinging quite a bit. I read here about Auto-rx and thought I would give it a try to see what it would do since someone mentioned that this stuff might help.

I’m really quite impressed with the results. I just drained it after about 550 miles. I ran it with Mobil Drive Clean. I’m pleased to say that I can now run the truck with regular unleaded. The pinging has virtually disappeared. I’ve noticed better responsiveness as well. It runs like a new truck. When you’ve been driving the same vehicle for 11 years, you notice differences in the way it performs. I was very skeptical at first, but I’m now totally convinced that this stuff works. I have the old oil filter and was planning to cut it open and post a picture, but I’ve been too lazy to get around to it. I might do it later.

Auto-rx really seems to live up to its promises. I’ve had such success with it that my brother and law and I are going to run a bottle through his Jeep Cherokee. In peeking through the oil fill hole, he has a lot of varnish built up and the engine leaks in a few places. I’ll post back once we are able to measure his results.

welcome.gif
First of all welcome to the site. Let us know how Auto-Rx works on your BIL's Jeep. With your low mileage and short trips, I would recommend that you add 3-4 ounces of Auto-Rx to your oil at each change as a maintenance dose.

I'm up to 200 miles so far and I've noticed smoother start up, especially in cold weather. Let you know how the rest turns out once I beat this brochitis.
frown.gif

i too had GREAT results with this product. both in engine and auto tranny. running schaeffers vetteman, you mentioned maintenance doses. i did not hear such from Frank. can you give me a little background on necessity-just keep er clean? extend oil life? what?

I add 3-4 ounces of Auto-Rx to each oil change per 5 quarts. This is not really required, but from personal experience it keeps the engine cleaner after the initial dose, and all oil analysis doing this have been super with low wear and OXY and NIT numbers. I am not an expert on Auto-Rx, but I personally recommend a maintenance dose. Then every 50K do a full bottle clean. Maybe I am to fussy, but I pulled a valve cover off to put in glow plugs and it was immaculate on the valve train and cover. As you stated, just to keep-er clean. Like a cup of coffee in the morning, makes me feel good.

[ February 08, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Vetteman has it correct 3 ounces of Auto-Rx in engine after cleansing, with each oil change has
real time benefits. 1-It will keep your compression at level after cleansing also combustion performance is greatly enhanced.2-If your looking for better mileage ( and drive responsibly ) this is a good way to find it.3- Since your engine is operating
clean you have reduced the load on it and your converter has a much easier time doing it's job. If you live where "Emissions" Testing Required" this is a significant plus.

Is a full dose really necessary if you've started out first with a fully clean engine and then have been keeping up the 3oz maintenance doses all along? I think that if the engine is clean and you put in those small doses of rx with each oil change, it should never get dirty again. Or do you just do it to be 100% sure Vetteman?

Patman,

I will do a full dose every 50K because of the amount of soot in my diesels. In my gasser I will go until the OA start to show increased numbers on OXY and NIT.

Thanks for the welcome! The maintenance dose sounds like good advice. I got the three bottles for the price of two deal from Frank, so I've got enough to last me for a few oil changes.

Now that I'm over the initial fear factor and am confident that Auto-Rx works slowly and safely without any adverse effects, I might also run a bottle through my 2000 Toyota Sienna for preventative maintenance purposes. As everyone knows, this particular Toyota engine is notoriously hard on oil and prone to sludging. I also run Mobil 1 in the Sienna. However, I think this little experiment has proven to me at least, that even an engine that has been run on a good synthetic oil can receive benefit from this product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back