LS1 Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2002 LS1 with 31,000 Miles (lots of track usage too). What would be the best way of cleaning the engine out? I'm currently using Red Line 10w30 but switching to Royal Purple 10w30..

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks,
Jason

2002 Camaro Z28 - Fully Loaded
smile.gif

The engine is probably super clean inside, honestly, I don't think it would need any cleaning at this point.

I would have to agree with Patman. When I pulled the rocker covers off to install new valvesprings the thing looked like it just came off the line. I use Mobil 1 and have put some pretty extensive track time on my 98 Z28. BTW mine had 60,000 miles on the clock when we opened it up.
Bub

Although my 1998 Camaro is a 3800 I have run Mobil 1 ever since the car was 6,000 miles old. I wanted to let the iron engine break in as many reading suggested just that. There afterwards it was run until Dec1998 on Mobil 1 at 3500mile intervals. After two canges of Mobil 1 it hasd run Royal Purple 10W30 and 5W30's weights at 3500-4000mile intervals to date.

The car now has 65000miles....62,000 which are synthetic. If what you are saying about how meticulous the engine looks with the valve covers removed i cannot wait to see mine!!!

I will need to borrow a digital camera for web board shots.

One question do i need to buy new Valve cover gaskets after removal? Does GM require a valve cover sealer compound in addition to the gasket? Yes, I know replacing them would be common sense.

I'm not sure about the 3800 rocker gasket. The LS1 gaskets are reusable if no tears or damage are visible. I reused mine and it actuall leaks less oil around the valve covers that it did before I removed them
dunno.gif
go figure. anyway the type I have is a blue rubber gasket, I'd be curious to know what the 3800 engines have.

I forgot to mention that when I had my 98 LS1 Formula, at about 20k I pulled off the valvecovers to check the pushrods (after missing a few shifts I thought there might be some bent ones) I used nothing but M1 5w30, and that engine was super clean inside from what I could see.

Usualy if the valve cover gasket is rubber you can use it again when removed and cleaned. But if it's cork then I would get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back