Ordering Conti Extreme Contact DWS for Protege5

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I said in other threads my tires were getting sketchy, I have been shopping and I'm pulling the trigger right now.

Cashing in $360 in Discover Cash back bonus to get $400 in Sears gift certificates. I can get 4 of these tires in 195-50-16 on the car for $580. Cost to me, $180.

Score.

The Sears tire and auto here is pretty good. I've used them before, so no more scary than other choices.

Nice!

Good tires for all kinds of weather conditions in general. Somewhat more noisy than others, in my experience, but not overly so.

They will probably seem quite compared to the well worn Dunlop SP Sport 5000's coming off when they arrive.

I feel that you may be better paired with the Michelin Defender if it is in your size. You can get much longer tread life, relatively similar snow performance for a 3-season, and better quality with the Michelin.

Not many choices in this size. Is that tire V rated, because that is what Mazda spec'ed.

195-50-16 size
load and speed 83V

I considered some choices in the 195-55-16 set, but ultimately went with what I thought was best in Mazda's recommended size.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Not many choices in this size. Is that tire V rated, because that is what Mazda spec'ed.

195-50-16 size
load and speed 83V

I considered some choices in the 195-55-16 set, but ultimately went with what I thought was best in Mazda's recommended size.

Ah, you're right...the DWS is your best choice for that size. Let us know how they turn out.

We put a set of these on our 2008 Ford Fusion last year and are very impressed with them. Quiet, good mileage and excellent stick. Have to wait and see how they wear.

FWIW, I've bought Michelins exclusively for the last 15 years and still happily running them on my F150. But these Continentals are, in my opinion, at least as good a tire and we will buy them again.

Hope they work out as well for you!

I wish they were available for my Nissan, but aren't in the 215/60-16 size.
frown.gif

So I'm left considering a) another set of Continental ContiProContact, b) Michelin Primacy MXV4, c) Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, and d) Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring.

While my socks are not knocked off with our DWS in 215/45/17 on my wifes Subaru Legacy turbo wagon they are decent all-seasons.

We have 35k miles on ours and the S(now) of DWS has almost disappeared.

We like the set on the Fit. They grip very well in all conditions, and are pretty quiet. We don't know about snow performance since we put on the snows for winter use.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
We don't know about snow performance since we put on the snows for winter use.

Our experience is average grip in the snow and nothing special on ice. The prior tire we had though was Nokian WR 2 which was wonderful buy pricey. Great winter traction.

Our friends daughter's Scion tC has DWS and they're very quiet IMHO!(or the car is quiet all on it's own)...Very impressed!

195-50-16 size
load and speed 83V

Do you really want/need a "V" speed rating(regardless of what was spec'd)?

Will SEARS only install a speed rating that is spec'd?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
frown.gif

So I'm left considering a) another set of Continental ContiProContact, b) Michelin Primacy MXV4, c) Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, and d) Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring.

In your instance, the Michelin Primacy MXV4's would be my choice(of the tires you mentioned)

I probably don't NEED V rated tires. I simply don't want to have that hassle. I seriously thought about just ording them, picking them up and having them mounted and balanced by my garage that would likely mount anything that looked good.

But in the end, it didn't seem worth the hassle. Tires with an H rating were not that much less expensive. They didn't have any significant higher treadwear warranty, and I'm getting to the point where I just want to make a few things easier.

I drop the car at Sears, walk over to the mall and watch the parade of humanity while sipping my $4 coffee and using their wi-fi until they call me and say all done.

Or I go across the street to the local chain that sells wings and beer with girls in little pink shorts and T-shirts a size or two too small for their ummm assets.

Seems like a win-win regardless which option I choose.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Our friends daughter's Scion tC has DWS and they're very quiet IMHO!(or the car is quiet all on it's own)...Very impressed!

195-50-16 size
load and speed 83V

Do you really want/need a "V" speed rating(regardless of what was spec'd)?

Will SEARS only install a speed rating that is spec'd?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
frown.gif

In your instance, the Michelin Primacy MXV4's would be my choice(of the tires you mentioned)

I had a 2002 Protege ES sedan. Those were supplied with V rated tires like the Protege5. But the base model SE came with S rated tires, and I think this car has been sold in other markets with only S rated tires. I ran T-rated winters on the car no problem. I am sure you could easily and safely drop down to an H, and possibly improve your tire selection.

Mazda played some games with these cars. The ES and the P5 have a 16" 5 lug wheel. The lower trim models, depending on the year have 4 lug wheels and I suspect some go down to 13" wheels if you find old enough examples. I suspect for around 2002-2003 the wheels were 15" for the lower trim variations.

So you can't just take smaller wheels off those cars either as the bolt patterns don't match.

I need to look at the previous owners records. I think they were getting 40K out of the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 M, so I should get the same if not better out of this tire. The car is at about 114K miles now, putting me at about 24-25K/year.

So a 50K mile tire would be just about perfect. I have it for two years and if I can do a bit deeper into summer next time, then I'm even better off for the winter of 2014.

Mazda played some games with these cars. The ES and the P5 have a 16" 5 lug wheel. The lower trim models, depending on the year have 4 lug wheels and I suspect some go down to 13" wheels if you find old enough examples. I suspect for around 2002-2003 the wheels were 15" for the lower trim variations.

Yes, they definitely did this. In fact, it was even more interesting on the ES trim, at least in the Canadian market. I had an "ES" which also had the 4 lug wheels in 15", but if you moved to the ES "sport" (I think that's what they called it), then you got the 5 lug wheels in 16".

Regardless of whether they were shod with 14", 15" or 16", the lowest speed rating these cars came with were "S." I believe some of the "tuning" of the ride for the various trim levels was achieved by a combination of aspect ratio changes and increased speed ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back