Carrier for Auto-rx and what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, newbie here
grin.gif

I'm gonna add Auto-rx into my 177k miles Ford Taurus, recently acquired and my guess is dino all the while. I'm pretty sure the innards are really sludged/gunked up.

btw, I'm running Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 now for the winter (in Ohio).

My question is which carrier dino oil should I use? I'm going for Supertech or Motorcraft filter for the 'cleansing'.

There after....the biggie question, Dino, blends or Syn (AMSOIL or M1)? I'm looking at 5000mile change intervals or 6 months.

Thanks!
smile.gif

I just added it and am using Exxonsuperflow. I would use the Maxlife or any other cheap dino oil. If your going to go with 5k mile drains, I'd go with Mobil 1.
smile.gif

I got great results with mobil drive clean 10w30 which is probably very similar to the superflow used above.

For the oil to use after the cleaning I recommend another interval of dino oil(Frank Does Too). This will make sure the seals stay well conditioned.

After that, a good synthetic oil like Mobil1, Schaefers, or Amsoil. I'm imagining a 40wt(ex. M1 0w40) oil would to OK in that engine but I don't know much about it.

--Matt

I had good results using Maxlife when I put in Auto-rx, but I wouldn't recommend using Maxlife with Auto-rx now that I know that the esters in Maxlife may slow down the cleaning effect of Auto-rx. So when using Maxlife you need to leave the RX in for a longer treatment cycle.

Go with something like Castrol GTX or Pennzoil.

[ February 06, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Sprintman, enlighten me, isn't Delvac a Diesel engine oil?
dunno.gif

I reckon any ExxonMobil dino oil will do good?

I'm biased towards AMSOIL as I'm have a preferred acct
grin.gif

Thanks guys!

yes, devlac is a diesel engine oil. this leads to it having a lot of detergents in it. lots of people use it in gas engines with good results.

--Matt

Got Exxon Superflo 10W-30 for my Auto-rx treatment. $0.89 per quart at Kmart's liquidation sale
grin.gif

Does it hurt to let the car sit in cold weather for a day without being run with autorx in it? I have 200 highway miles on the oil with Rx but I was home sick today. Will this effect any results? It's been cold here......
smile.gif

Buster,
It won't hurt a thing to let the car sit. The Auto-Rx is circulated through out the engine using your engine oil as a carrier. It is working until you drain the oil

Glad this question of letting Auto-rx sit was raised. I drive only 3 days a week so the Auto-rx mix will be sitting most part of the week in the engine.
tongue.gif

Why is dino oil recommended as a carrier for Auto-Rx? I can't use dino oil because both of my cars are turbocharged, but I couldn't use a highly-detergent synthetic like Delvac 1.

I used it with Delvac 1 in my Outback and cleaning appeared minimal compared to using it with SL dino in my turbo. The Auto-Rx helps barrier wise anyway if I'm correct? so I wouldn't be too worried about 800 miles in your turbo as you want max cleaning of the turbo oil lines and bearing area. Use dino after that for seal 'hardening' then go back to your syn of choice. The best way to get good results IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back