Compression Restorer Additive Test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(The Stuff in the Shiny Can)

Has anyone here ever actually run a compression test before and after the use of this additive?

It would be an interesting assesment. I currently lack the tools to try this on my vehicle.

They do offer a money back guarantee so if someone can venture to do a cylinder-cylinder compression experiment with this claims it would be greatly appreciated.

And by the way, what is the difference between a Wet and Dry Compression test?

Thanks-

I highly doubt there is any excrement in a can type product that will add (much) metal back in a mechanically worn engine.

That said, there are some products and even oils that after cleaning can indeed free stuck piston rings.

in a nutshell:
dry compression = open throttle, no spark plugs, crank engine for x seconds. read value
wet compression = same as above but with several cc's of oil squirted in the cylinder. if pressure is substantially higher, bad rings, if compression doesn't change look for leaks elsewhere.

Me? I like a leakdown test, oil analysis and coolant check for diagnosis. Sometimes simple compression tests are misleading.

i remember using this on an old beater... i remember the stuff not burning or smoking off my valve cover (spilled some) and i think it helped the burning oil a little, and a little more power, not much though...

I am unaware of any chemistry through heat and pressure that can remetalize any wear areas on any oil lubricated rotating part. That said what
can happen is expander rings can be cleaned thereby "freeing" them up to expand & contact, this will make a major difference in compression
on any engine high mileage or just sludged up.
As an added benefit combustion greatly improves.
What you need to understand is no oil or oil additve can clean metal deep enough to remove much
of anything. Any oil that is added to a clean metal surface can lubricate the entire engine and in doing so "ALTER'S the effects of the wear and
that = Extended MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure)
Hope this helps.

I used the stuff in my old Volvo for the last few years I owned it, made a big difference in the way it ran. I actually had run a compression test before I used it, & then another after I'd used it in 3 or 4 oil changes. Had before & after figures for all 4 cyls. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact results, they went in my maint. notebook when I sold the car. IIRC, #3 cyl was the big problem, & Restore raised the compression in that one by ~20 pounds. Another one was off not so bad as #3, raised that one by 7 or 8 lbs, raise the "good two" cyls almost none at all. Gas mileage increased just a hair, oil consumption was not changed at all, take-off & throttle response at cruising speed were *Greatly* improved.

I'm not recommending Restore with this info, just passing along my results as well as I can remember. Personally, I'd only use it in a tired old car where you had nothing to lose.

I started using Restore on my old S10 4.3 when it had around 120k, and it did make a difference in power. I didn't have to give it quite as much gas to cruise at highway speed. The motor didn't burn any oil except for a little at startup, so I can't comment on reduced oil consumption, but it was in good shape the whole time I had the truck.

Jason

I think this is a reputable product...I can remember seeing Compression Restorer and Marvel Mystery Oil on shelves since childhood. I think many in here would concur that M&M is by no means a snake oil.

Personally i think it is effective and i would venture to assume that the marketing adds of compression test that they have done were false the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) would have jumped on them many years ago?

Going to an earlier above post on this by Auto RX...do you suspect Compression Restorer to be some kind of ring detergent or a bona fide compound that fills engine scoring?

Perhaps a test before and after Auto-RX and another one vice versa with Compression Restore would answer that.

What I posted about was "Restore", in silver can w/black & red & white lettering. Says"Engine Restorer & lubricant" in white letters on black band. Available in 4-cyl(11 oz), 6-cyl, & 8 cyl size cans. It's blue, & you can see that it has "powdered metal"(some sort of copper/lead/? compound)that's claimed to help fill in scratches, etc in cyl walls. I don't ever recall seeing any claims for cleaning. I don't know if that's the same as the "Compression Restorer" you're referring to or not.

[ February 08, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

i think thats the one i used.. it was like 8 dollars, and said RESTORE on it. there is also a very similar product, called HP restore or something, by "turner laboratories" same type can, diff. cylinder models etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back