Deutz motor in a Gehl skidsteer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Gehl 5240 with a 4-cylinder Deutz engine. It is water cooled. The first UOA I did on this unit was at 500 hours which the OEM recommends. That one turned out great so took a sample at 750 hours w/o changing oil and then I changed the oil at 1000 hours. Using Service Pro or Shell Rimula 15w-40.

Hours 500, 772, 996
O Chn Y, N, Y
Iron 40, 80, 113
Chrm 1, 3, 4
Nick 0, 0, 1
Alum 3, 1, 2
Copp 0, 1, 1
Sili 3, 5, 4
Sod 5, 8, 5
Pot 0, 3, 0
Moly 30, 64, 69
Bor 7, 11, 10
Magn 806, 804, 774
Calc 1224, 1385, 1475
Phos 1064, 1044, 1107
Zinc 1234, 1317, 1313

Fuel Dil Soot .2%, .4%, .5%
Visc 14.8, 14.1, 14.4
TBN 3.36, 4.79, 5.18
Oxid 12, 13, 13
Nit 16, 18, 10

Somewhere after the first oil change, before I took the sample at 772 hours, the remote filter mount on the engine was leaking real bad and when I finally replaced the o-ring between it and the block, I hooked the pressure and return lines up backwards so I ran the engine for a little bit with no oil pressure. I think that is where the high iron came from but I think it is going to be ok because between 772 and 996 hours, the Iron seems to have evened out a little more. I think I'll take another sample at the next 750 hour interval and see how its doing then. I think 100 ppm Iron is going to be my condemnation limit for an oil change. Other than the Iron all other wear metals seemed excellent.

Once again, you are proving to have an outstanding overall maintenance plan. I always enjoy seeing your equipment UOAs.

I would agree that lack of oil flow could have pushed the Fe a bit higher. I also agree that a 100ppm Fe condemnation point is very reasonable; I would not panic though, as you're only around 10% over your limit. I know you didn't plan to reverse the lines. It's likely the next 1000 hour mark would be a bit lower. I see no reason to suspect any signficant damage was done.

No Pb reading, or was it at zero? The other wear metals are very low indeed. The soot is outstanding for such a long OCI; bypass filtration?

I'm not sure how TBN is going up, unless you're topping off more frequently? (or did you type them in accidentially in reverse?)

Overall, a VERY nice run on dino oils for such long service hours.

Yet more kudos for your great use of UOAs and overall structured plan. You clearly "get it" and your reward is well maintained equipment with excellent ROI.

Last edited:
The unit does use some oil, nothing crazy so I think that is where the increased TBN comes from. Might have been a different oil between the first and last UOA. Switched from a Service Pro CI-4 to a Shell Rimula CJ-4. Lead was zero on all three UOAs. I'm not using bypass filtration but I did upgrade to a microglass filter that is also a little larger than the original.

Looks good to me. If you haven't already, you may want to consider a probe-type fitting so you can take your oil samples a little easier.

I got a push-button sample valve through www.checkfluid.com. There was an extra port on the remote filter base. The dipstick tube is too thin to run a line down it and use a vacuum pump and the oil drain is on the side of the machine so the oil has to trickle down the edge of the body before you could collect in a sample bottle.

Another option is the Fumoto valve, if underside clearance isn't a risk of striking something.

I use one on my Dmax and can take "live" running samples.

Counting the vehicles on my filter spreadsheet, we have about 50. Some get a lot more hours annually than others though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back