Best Gas Line Antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of gas line antifreeze is best for modern cars? I guess the most common options are methyl hydrate, isopropyl alcohol, or just using ethanol blended fuels.

I believe isopropyl is better because it mixes with the water and allows it to be burned in combustion (or so I've heard) while methyl hydrate simply clings to the water and keeps it from freezing but doesn't allow it to burn in the combustion chamber. They used to sell both of these up here, but now all I see is isopropyl.

It's not to keep the gas from freezing, it's to keep any moisture (from condensation) in the gas lines from freezing. I had it happen on one of my cars a long time ago and it was not fun. I'd lose power at random intervals, as if someone had just slammed the brakes on all of a sudden.

There are ways to avoid the problem (like moving south!
cool.gif
), not really ways to fix the problem.

First, buy gas from quality stations that provide quality gasoline. I got burned on this once, I knew better, and I'll never make that mistake again! Water+gas = no good!

Second, don't run your tank down past a half a tank in cold weather (my definition of cold for these purposes is below 20 F. Not that that is really that cold!) This minimizes condensation effects in your fuel tank.

Third, if you think you purchased bad gas or regularly draw the tank down past a 1/2 tank, then add deicer to your fuel like Heet or IsoHeet.

Doing that is generally a waste of time on fuel with ethanol in it, since it already has the alcohol the deicers are adding to your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back