Lawsuit hits at Jiffy Lube Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article002438181.cfm?x=bl7MPc7,bQ4RnwL

Originally Posted By: fisher83
People love to sue. It's not like the guy can't ignore the little sticker.

I bet it is the same guy who claimed to have the stuck accelerator on his Toyota and was afraid to turn off the ignition because he thought the car would flip over.

Maybe this time he thought his engine would turn into an atomic bomb and destroy the entire city if he didn't do what the sticker said to do.

I suspect that there is some merit to such a suit. When you go to a registered automotive technician you should get correct advice. In other words, if a brake shop says you need new brakes and you really don't, wouldn't there be grounds to sue? Or if the dealer said you needed to change your serpentine belt every 50,000 miles despite what the manufacturer says? Not everybody is expected to have the knowledge of a BITOGer.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I suspect that there is some merit to such a suit. When you go to a registered automotive technician you should get correct advice. In other words, if a brake shop says you need new brakes and you really don't, wouldn't there be grounds to sue? Or if the dealer said you needed to change your serpentine belt every 50,000 miles despite what the manufacturer says? Not everybody is expected to have the knowledge of a BITOGer.

So we should assume everyone that operates and buys a motor vehicle is illiterate? Also why does the lawsuit have to be almost 5 million dollars? Should it not be closer to 34.99 or whatever he paid for his "extra" oil change, I still do not get why this should be in a court. No one was harmed the biggest potential for harm was the iffy lube employee that change the oil on the car, not the owner of the car. My opinion for what it is worth just is this is not right for this to be in a court room. No one said the person suiting in the lawsuit had to follow the oil change places advice. I am not the sharpest knife in drawer but I do not go by a single opinion on anything before I make a decision and once I make a decision I stand by it, I am not going to take a case to court because I decided to buy a an extra product.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Why would this go to court?

Well, people don't having laws against everything, so the court system becomes a remedy for people to be punished for fraudulent behavior.

I don't know if this meets that standard, but so far I'm really not liking JL's changes on this one:

"AOCA’s position on the lawsuit against JLI is that when all the facts are considered, the 3,000 mile recommendation for the plaintiff was probably correct based on the year, make and model of his vehicle and the OEM's information on severe service,” AOCA President Patricia Wirth told Lube Report. Wirth owns an Xpress Lube franchise in Fairfax Station, Va."

Because of course, there position is not correct--even if they assume severe service...

What's the alternative? Allow companies to intentionally mislead people with no consequence? No thanks.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Why would this go to court?

Well, people don't having laws against everything, so the court system becomes a remedy for people to be punished for fraudulent behavior.

I don't know if this meets that standard, but so far I'm really not liking JL's changes on this one:

"AOCA’s position on the lawsuit against JLI is that when all the facts are considered, the 3,000 mile recommendation for the plaintiff was probably correct based on the year, make and model of his vehicle and the OEM's information on severe service,” AOCA President Patricia Wirth told Lube Report. Wirth owns an Xpress Lube franchise in Fairfax Station, Va."

Because of course, there position is not correct--even if they assume severe service...

What's the alternative? Allow companies to intentionally mislead people with no consequence? No thanks.

What would happen if the person bring the lawsuit to court did not change his oil? What would happen if he changed his oil every 3 years instead of 3 months? I am going disagree with you on this. Nothing about this lawsuit makes sense to me. Fraudulent behavior I disagree with that also. The 3 month/3K mile recommendation is just that a recommendation. I could see this going to court if the person that is suing Jiffy Lube was receiving threats or some nice broadshoulder men in black suits and baseball bats was at his house telling him he had to change his oil or something of that effect. But it appears this was a oil change reminder sticker on the windshield. So expect for your PCMO prices to increase to cover for any potential loses.

Kind of sad that the lube joint is owned by the oil company that is making such high quality oil that it can go 7500 miles plus, and then is recommending 3000 mile changes. (They also hammer home the 3000 mile interval in advertizing until people have 3000 miles on the brain and simply go for it like a bunch of sheep.) But I don't see how the company can be held responsible for consumers failing to read their owner's manual and failing to think for themselves.

If JL promotes themselves as auto professionals, then should be accountable to such standards. They have access to the OCI data and their recommendations should be based on that.

How about "The mfg of your vehicle recommends a 7,500 mile OCI, we generally recommend 3K; your car is @ 3,100 miles, do you want your oil changed?"

A 3K recommendation is fine, if it is put on the backdrop of what the mfg indicates.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
If JL promotes themselves as auto professionals, then should be accountable to such standards. They have access to the OCI data and their recommendations should be based on that.

How about "The mfg of your vehicle recommends a 7,500 mile OCI, we generally recommend 3K; your car is @ 3,100 miles, do you want your oil changed?"

A 3K recommendation is fine, if it is put on the backdrop of what the mfg indicates.

You put my thoughts into text perfectly!

I see some merit to the 3k OCI for the typical motorist. Not because the oil will not go that far. But because the typical motorist will not check the oil between changes. Since few motorists follow the typical owners manual recommendation to check their oil EVERY TIME they get fuel seems a 3k interval is a possible remedy for that failure to perform by the owner.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

You put my thoughts into text perfectly!

I gave this some thought what is stopping someone from filing a lawsuit on XOM because Mobil EP is advertised to be used for a to 15K OCI, or Amsoil up to 25K neither recommendation is following a OCI stated by most manufactures?

I think XOM says to follow the carmakers guidelines. They skate on the line by saying the oil is good for up to X, but follow the manual.

XOM says:

Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner’s manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.

Good grief. I'm not one to defend quick lube places, but this is one time I will. They hire people at low wages and try to pump as many vehicles through as possible. 3,000 miles/3 months is definitely overkill. However, are they to check every vehicle's OM and quiz the driver on their driving habits in order to come up with a proper OCI?

If the guy has read his owner's manual, which is suggested in the article, then he should have no problem following what's recommended in the manual. Jiffy Lube didn't point a gun to his head and require him to return after 3,000 miles or three months. Or he could change it himself whenever he wants.

Perhaps Jiffy Lube should change their stickers to state "RTFM" instead.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Perhaps Jiffy Lube should change their stickers to state "RTFM" instead.

I can't understand how this suit could even get to the suit stage.

The owner of the vehicle must have the knowledge to operate the vehicle to get it on the road...that's his responsibility.

As far as maintenance, the manufacturer has issued a manual with the vehicle that tells him how much, how often,and what oil needs to go into the thing. That information is available free of charge, as I can download the service schedule for nothing from the OEMs for both my cars.

As to Jiffy Lube's position, my manuals state that the OCI is 10,000km, or 6 months, whichever occurs first, however in "severe service", that should be halved.

Jiffy Lube, not knowing the useage of the vehicle, recommend (as does nearly every mechanic in my country) that the unknown, safe option is to stick to severe service for all.

It's the owner's responsibility to know how he operates his gear, and choose how he maintains it. Jiffy Lube is not offering "expert advice", and I think that Jiffy Lube will successfully be able to argue this...except maybe it's Ca.

Cripes, I don't defend JL or any of that genre of business, but this guy should wear all of the legal costs of his ridiculous action.

Maybe Jiffy Lube could start a class action law suit on behalf of the people of California against this ijit for endangering public safety by operating a vehicle he isn't qualified to operate on public roadways for more than 3,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back