Hitch-Mounted Bike Racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market to purchase a hitch-mounted bike rack, platform-style. It must fit a 1.25" receiver.

Right now, I have it narrowed down to a Raxter Thorax or a Saris Thelma 3. I can get the Saris on clearance for $245 shipped, the Raxter is a bit more (friend is a dealer).

My main concerns are durability, minimal sway, no damage to frame, good spacing between bikes, and weight.

I prefer to spend under $400.

Thanks.

I used a Hollywood 4 bike Runner Original recent and was very happy with how well it worked and how sturdy it was. it belonged to a friend who has had it for 15 years. $300 ish

I have a Swagmann XTC-2 and it's great. I have been very happy with that rack. It's a 1.25" receiver by default I believe, and it holds 2 bikes easily as the hoops for the tires are adjustable. I love that style of rack, no trying to hang a bike with a non standard top tube anymore.. These racks fit pretty much any type of bike.

Thanks guys. Ordered a Hidden Hitch 1.25" last night and will likely go with one of the Raxter racks in 1.25" - just can't decide between the 2 bike or 3 bike version.

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I have the Thule T2 and I love it. I have a 2" receicer, so I have the two bike with the two bike add on. I use it as two most of the time, but it takes about 5 minutes to convert it to 4 bike.
1.25 only comes in two bike.
Just figured I'd mention it in case anyone was wondering about the Thule.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
REI has a sale this weekend... something like 20% off Thule and Yakima stuff.

If it's only for a single bike only... try the 1up Quickrack. A lot of mountain bikers swear by it-- it costs more than competitors and made in the USA.

Though... I ordered from work, a Yakima Holdup.
http://www.rei.com/product/784535/yakima-holdup-bike-hitch-rack

Yeah, the REI girl was telling me that last week. I looked at the 1-up but in a 3-bike (+ 2 add-ons), it was $700. Not worth almost twice the price of the Raxter, which is basically the same style.

Anybody know if I can put a hitch on a honda civic or only on trucks and stuff like that? I would like to get a bike rack as well.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
Anybody know if I can put a hitch on a honda civic or only on trucks and stuff like that? I would like to get a bike rack as well.

This is a 2011 Civic, same as you 2007. It's a hidden hitch brand, but I had it installed at the dealer when I bought the car.

So yes, yes you can get a hitch for your Civic!
48.gif

p4pb7161082.jpg

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
REI has a sale this weekend... something like 20% off Thule and Yakima stuff.

If it's only for a single bike only... try the 1up Quickrack. A lot of mountain bikers swear by it-- it costs more than competitors and made in the USA.

Though... I ordered from work, a Yakima Holdup.
http://www.rei.com/product/784535/yakima-holdup-bike-hitch-rack

Yeah, the REI girl was telling me that last week. I looked at the 1-up but in a 3-bike (+ 2 add-ons), it was $700. Not worth almost twice the price of the Raxter, which is basically the same style.

I wouldn't go that far to say it's the same style as the 1up. Sure, with the pictures, it may look similar, but the Thorax uses 4 straps to secure the bike by the wheels.

the 1up uses the "boxed" arms to secure the by the wheels...

...but it's your money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back