Auto-rx in synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I thought this deserved a seperate topic. Recently I heard here that if you use Auto-rx with synthetic (or specifically, any oil with esters in it) that you should double the treatment interval from 500 to 1000 miles. Frank and Terry, is this true?

I always knew that if you're fixing a seal you should run RX with conventional oil, but what if you're just doing a cleaning?

I'm going to put in Auto-rx in my mom's Probe GT, and will be putting it in with her current batch of SuperSyn (she's put very few miles on this batch so I'm not dumping it until after the treatment)

Patman after multiple testing bottles I think 500 miles just not enough if the engine is in decent shape. I just ran 5,000kms with my 3rd bottle. Now thats maybe excessive but 500 miles with Delvac 1 and Sube OEM filter had nothing in it to speak of. Hope that helps?

Another good question. I really don't want to put dino in if I can get the same results with synthetic. I was going to add it to exxon superflow, but i might wait to see what the responses are.
smile.gif

I forgot to mention, would one treatment of Rx be sufficient if synthetic was run in the engine 90% of it's life?
smile.gif

Since it doesn't seem to hurt it to leave it in longer, I think I'll run this treatment for about 1500km (931 miles)

Frank told me specifically to run it to around 700 miles using synthetic. I'm sure it will be fine at 931, and maybe even better.
smile.gif

Auto-Rx works very well with "Synthetic Oil" No Problem it just takes longer in the cleansing mode than "Dino" Oil.750 Miles is fine for Synthetic Oil and it won't hurt a thing as long as filter can hold debris if you drive 1000 or 1500 miles. THE ONLY MANDATORY USE OF DINO OIL IS IF THERE ARE SEAL LEAKS YOU WANT STOPPED.

Thanks Frank! I'll run it for probably 1500km in my own car as well, with Schaeffer Supreme. My oil filter in my Firebird is huge, I probably don't even need a new one before the treatment, but I will put one on anyways since I want to see the oil pressure at full throttle with an AC Delco compared to my current K&N filter.

One more thing. What about Auto-rx in Schaeffer Supreme? Will it clean in 500 miles or would it really need longer too? Schaeffer Supreme contains 20-25% PAO, but to the best of my knowledge, no esters. So is it the esters in some oils which require Auto-rx to go for a longer treatment cycle? Or is it the PAO?

Auto-Rx Chemistry and Synthetic Oil Complex Additive Package will compete for space on metal.
at 750 miles Auto-Rx has space and has devoted 100% of it's cleansing chemistry to your engine.
(at 500 miles it's not done when working with synthetic oil's of any brand )so it makes sense to get full cleansing that Auto-Rx offers and do the 750 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back