2006 Jeep grand cherokee hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
just changed the oil for a buddy of mine, grand cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi, 33,000 miles. I used QS 5W20 synthetic and a Mopar filter, 7 quarts, like it calls for. i let it sit for about 15 mins, and when i checked it, it was only halfway on the safe mark. I went read on some forums, and it says the hemi takes 7.5, sometimes 8 quarts, to reach the full mark. Should this be a cause for concern? Will it be safe with 7 or should i put another 1/2 qt?

Last edited:
So you're concerned that the dipstick is showing the oil to be right in the middle of the range the manufacturer recommends? Oy vey!

Check owners manual, it will tell you how to read the Chrysler dipsticks. They will read in the middle of the two lines when full.

I have had 2 5.7L HEMI Ram's and they always took 7qts at an OC just like it calls for in the OM. IF the OM for the Jeep says 7 qts that is what you use. I wouldn't listen to anyone saying use 8 qts.

Last edited:
I've heard it all now.

Measure the amount carefully. Use what the book says. BTW, virtually every newer Hemi takes 7 quarts.

The dipstick can move around, the oil can stay up in a head for a lot longer than 15 minutes. Trust your measurements.

I have dealt with numerous engines where you fill it to the specification in the owner's manual, but the dipstick shows either too much or too little oil.

I don't know why this happens.

Me, too, hence my advice above^

Seen a ton of engines with the tube either partially pulled out of the block or not seated properly to begin with.

Actually bought a used car with a non-original dipstick once. Took a while to figure that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back