2 cars, 2 different problems: 1 solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car#1 '92 SVX with 99K runs like a champ, engine & oil very clean due to quality oil and 3K intervals. Problem is a minor (and I stress the "minor" part) oil leak from either the front cam seals or, perhaps, the crank seal. Not enough to ever require topping off but enough to put a stain on the driveway, visable residue in the plastic air dam/panel under the front of the engine. And it pisses me off!

20K away from major service scheduled ($450) timing belt, water pump, etc. change, no evidence the oil is fouling the belt... Yet?
shocked.gif
Was going to try MaxLife on the next change, before I read this Forum.

Car#2 Inherited '84 Lincoln Towncar, 302, 64K miles, driven by Octogenerian L.O.L. former owner (my Godmother)... Picked it up in August and drove it 5+K miles cross-country (OH-NY-OH-FL-TX-CO-OR)with 2K dino oil & filter changes along the way, then two here at home (10W-30 Semi-Syn Havolene, then a FREE!
cool.gif
one with dino @ a Lincoln Dealership 200 miles ago) before I put it away for the winter. Still saw lots of GOOP! coming out of the pan. Doesn't anybody READ the instructions? There are 2(TWO) drain plugs under there
mad.gif
Cut open the oil filter from the Semi-Syn change and it really wasn't too bad, no metal, just more GOOP! Minor valve cover leaks which departed after the covers were tightened down, gaskets probably OK.

re: AutoRx applications, is it best (OK?) to add 10 oz.
dunno.gif
to the existent dino & new filter, and then just run it for 500-750 or so, then do another change and see how it looks? Treat again, if necessary?

The oil (dino) & filter was just changed on the SVX: for primarily a STOP LEAK/seal conditioning treatment (jus' trying to get to 120K) what is the recommendation here?

One would think 3 bottles for $50+ might do the double-trick?

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
cheers.gif

It is running fine. Why not do a quick oil change (500-1000 miles or so) with a decent dino and see what drains out. if engine running fine now and no indication (other then what seems to be too dark of an oil at drain pan) don't go overboard. Most additives are last resort and not needed for normal operation especially if engine appears to be running fine.

As to stop leaks, again, last resort cosidering what you are putting into the crankcase. The oil leak is minor, live with it rather then risk placing gunk into your engine to stop a leak. Most of these stop leak products are temporary fixes if they work at all.

[ February 01, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back