Thoughts on Trop Artic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is dirt cheap at Sam's Club and I didn't realize it was a syn blend. Specs are decent. Not going to run it in my new car but might be worth throwing some in the old grocery-getter.

Why? If it meets your specs for your car. I would use it, I have used it in the past when I could get it at WM for a 1.88 a qt normal everyday price. It is almost a exact clone of Motorcraft oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Why? If it meets your specs for your car. I would use it, I have used it in the past when I could get it at WM for a 1.88 a qt normal everyday price. It is almost a exact clone of Motorcraft oil.
I've decided to run fyll-syn in my 2012 Elantra but I'm not as picky on the '06 Caravan.

The local Orschelns chain carries it here. Until last year, they had it on sale for $1.99/qt or cheaper about every other month. I seriously stocked up. Now the good sales on the stuff happen about every 6 months. It's almost a Motorcraft clone oil as both oils are a Conoco-Phillips product.

Hmm my Sam's doesn't carry it, if it did, I'd try it. Wonder why..

EDIT: I see they sell 5w-30 case of PYB quarts for 3.51 a quart and something calls Wolf's Head for 2.40 a quart. Maybe a regional thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nepadriver
Hmm my Sam's doesn't carry it, if it did, I'd try it. Wonder why..

The Wal-Mart stores in our area used to carry it, but dropped it about 3-5 years ago.
The Sams Club and Wal-mart stores have calculated everything down the the final penny. The individual temperature thermostats of each store are controlled from Bentonville, Arkansas, NOT by the store manager.
I'm guessing that it: 1. Doesn't have much of a following in your neck of the woods.
2. They probably can't truck it all the way from the refinery to your area and keep it a low-priced oil. If NexGen can't sell at WM, Trop-Artic probably can't either.

Trop Artic used to be one of the "favorite" oils here years ago. Before that it was Havoline, PP was there a while and then it moved to PYB and such. But lately - I've seen no "favorite" around here...probably because most of the regulars have left the board.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Trop Artic used to be one of the "favorite" oils here years ago. Before that it was Havoline, PP was there a while and then it moved to PYB and such. But lately - I've seen no "favorite" around here...probably because most of the regulars have left the board.

Or maybe the "favorites" were real good quality at a low price. Now a days most all branded oils offer real good quality and most oils are pretty much equally expensive. Motorcraft synblend was a real good oil at a cheap price. Now it's still good oil at a slightly higher price than other equivalent oils.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Wolfs head=good stuff, i wish i could get some. Cheap..

I agree it is a fine oil. But it is just plain ol Amalie at this point.

My Sam's has 12 quart case for $14.77. That's $1.23 a quart! I'm going to stock up for the van.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
My Sam's has 12 quart case for $14.77. That's $1.23 a quart! I'm going to stock up for the van.

I would too for that price! What Sams is that? I'm in Ames and they want ~28 for a 12qt case.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable

I would too for that price! What Sams is that? I'm in Ames and they want ~28 for a 12qt case.
I am back with my tail between my legs. I was looking at the wrong shelf. It was $27.88 for the 12 quart case. $2.32 still isn't bad though, so I bought some!

I'm ready for my cyber spanking.

Why would anyone spank you? You found oil at a normal everyday price that I like to spend less than 3.00 a quart and with no mail in rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back