What's the best for Varnish Removal???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been diagnosed with sticky hydraulic lifters because of varnish. What is the best thing to use to remove the varnish from an engine? Auto-rx? Something else?

Do you want a quick fix or long-term fix?

For a short term cleaning, drain oil, change filter, and put in a dino oil of 5W30, such as Exxon SuperFlow, SuperTech, or Mobil Drive Clean. I use Neutra liberally drenching the rockers (if of that design type) and making sure the Neutra runs down the valve stem to the hydraulic lifter. Make sure Neutra also soaks the valve stems and seals under the valve springs. I let soak for 4 hours. Idle until hot, and then add 16oz of Lube Control in the oil and let idle for 20 more minutes. Shut-off engine and let cool somewhat, and then let drain for 1 hour.

Install new filter and pet oil.

For a long term cleaning solution, use Auto-RX with dino oil following the instructions on the Auto-Rx website..

Great...the answer I was looking for before I order Auto-rx as I knew it was great for sludge removal but wasn't sure how well it worked on baked-on varnish.

Why isn't the Neutra/Lube control good as a long term solution? Is it not as effective as auto-rx? Or are you counting on using the maintenance dose of auto-rx as a long-term solution?

Dr. T,

"Why isn't the Neutra/Lube control good as a long term solution?"

They can be used as long-term cleaners in maintenance doses. When I want a quick clean (a flush), I use simply use them full strength. With Neutra or Lube Control, and with the valve cover(s) off, I can apply these directly to the varnished surfaces.

"Is it not as effective as auto-rx? Or are you counting on using the maintenance dose of auto-rx as a long-term solution?"

I was counting on the Auto-Rx as a maintenance dose after the initial Auto-RX 500 mile cleaning dose.

EDIT: What I have found in my vehicles, is that there is rusty layer underneath the varnish coating, and Lube Control will remove this rusty coating. I don't think varnish or lacquer on the valve stems or rockers harms anything, but when you want to clean the hydraulic lifters, you a need a fast acting cleaner (a flush), or a long-term, slow-acting cleaner. And of course, it doesn't hurt to clean the ring packs as well for better combustion sealing.

[ January 30, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back