the best antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexcool has been a controversial antifreeze. I think you should stick with what the manufacturer uses. I read an article in Popular Mechanics that was very "against" using a coolant other then the OEM brand.
The GM 3800 engine is definitely one of the best engines of all time. My dad had several of these in various cars, and my wife has one in her Camaro, now driven by her dad. GM is about to roll out all new 4cyl. engines. VVT.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Dexcool has been a controversial antifreeze. I think you should stick with what the manufacturer uses. I read an article in Popular Mechanics that was very "against" using a coolant other then the OEM brand.
The GM 3800 engine is definitely one of the best engines of all time. My dad had several of these in various cars, and my wife has one in her Camaro, now driven by her dad. GM is about to roll out all new 4cyl. engines. VVT.

Right on with all that, Keaton!
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
I have heard good things about evans coolant.

I know a few people running the Evans Waterless Coolant in their diesel engines. You don't have to worry about supplemental additives or ph using this. Also the system is unpressurized. The only problem is I would need 9 gallons per vehicle. About $10 a gallon. With a coolant filter I would consider it.

In lieu of the Evans, I would just use regular green coolant in my gas engines and add RMI-25 as Stuart Hughes mentioned.

i dont believe in 5 years for the dex cool at all... i use green coolant and try to change it minimum once or twice a year. my engine is very finnicky with the cooling system, and needs the coolant supplement pellets every flush.

This thread got me too! Hello board, I've lurked here quite some time but only posted once (as TomS) several months ago, I read and learn much better than I post so please bear with me. I've run a couple of small Izuzu diesels (turbo and reg) almost 500k over the past 21yr and in '97 I thought I'd try the new (to me) long life coolant.All seems fine for 2yr,then a couple of coincidences. My geunine Izuzu thermostat (double-spring with rubber seal) starts sticking AND I come across a Cummings TSB (may99??) stating plainly that OAT coolants are not compatable with their engines, causing degradation of seals in 60-80k. I yank my tstat and the rubber is coated with orange crud,swollen and looks like it's been sandblasted on one side. Obtained a double-spring all metal Napa tstat,drained the orange, back to green and all's well. The makers of the longlife stuff admitted to some problems and offered up some solutions (on their sites) including keeping the overflow full and changing to a double-spring radiator cap. No more coolant experiments for me, oil is another story!

I'm looking forward to using the EVANS NPG+ in a new motor with new component accessories. Buy it once, lasts forever is but one benefit.

As to conventional, I've never gone more than two years, mileage irrelevant. As above post states, gotta keep ahead of the curve. Replace it before it breaks, keep vehicle in as like-new condition as possible.

Break-downs, repairs, etc, are more costly.

But most folks would rather have a new car payment the entirety of their working lives apparently, as they can't be bothered to service the vehicle properly or in a timely fashion.

The mindset of a car being worn out before it reaches 12-years or 150,000-plus miles is as big a myth as the 3000-mile oil change. Worse, actually, as it is far more expensive.

Going to the dealer ain't cheap (or an exceptionally good independent), but it's peanuts compared to 2-cars in twenty years versus 4,5 or 6.

Change all fluids annually, no problems. And is simple enough to remember and schedule.

My $0.02's worth:

I've ben using regular green antifreeze (Peak, Texaco, etc.), whatever name brand is on sale with a rebate for over twenty years, ten+ with some of my current vehicles.

I flush & change it every 12-18 months, basically predicated upon whether the vehicle has gone 10K miles or not within the year.

Never once had anything but clean, green coolant come out: no crud, residue, etc. Never had (as in "because of leakage, breakage, etc.") to replace any hose or water pump in that entire period. This in a very mixed collection of vehicles ranging from a 420SEL, SVX, F250 with a 460, F150s with 4.9L and 5.8L, Acura Legend, and a few "short timers" along the way.

My advice: flush & change frequently, watch the level, inspect the hoses & clamps. The green stuff is CHEAP! & recyclable, too.
cool.gif

p.s. I change the brake fluid (DOT 4) every year or two and have only replaced one master cylinder, but no calipers or brake hardware in 15 years. Pads only.
offtopic.gif

This preventative maintenance thing can actually work!
cheers.gif

The best antifreeze is Mercedes OEM. It is available in the US at about $10/gal from you local Mercedes Benz dealer. Also good is Valvoline G48 coolant, used by BMW, SAAB and some other OEMs... Slightly cheaper, too. SAAB dealers charge about $8/gal (make sure to ask for "blue" rather than "orange") -- not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back