Michelin (Energy and/or Primacy) MXV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with the Primacy MXM4 tires with H rating. They drive smoothly and handle really well. They are also have better low rolling resistance than Primacy MXV4 tires.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
Go with the Primacy MXM4 tires with H rating. They drive smoothly and handle really well. They are also have better low rolling resistance than Primacy MXV4 tires.

+1, just drove a car with a fresh set of these today (retail spec, not OE spec). Super sticky, and seem to roll fairly well for a performance-oriented touring tire. They are definitely stickier than my worn-in set of Primacy MXV4.

The Energy MXV4 S8 are garbage. My wife who is generally oblivious to anything other than if she has gas in her car,came home last fall complaining about the tires on her Camry.

With 12,000 miles on them,they were absolutely dangerous in wet weather.

Michelin went above and beyond and replaced them with the Primacy MXV4s for virtually no money out of pocket.

The Primacys are light years ahead of the Energys in quality.

Originally Posted By: Paul3637
Consumer reports rates Primacy as best. It also gets great reviews on tirerack.com. It is now available in H or V rating. V rated Primacy now one of the standard tires on Camry XLE V6. [I see OP drives Fords .... but results should be the same]

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/156-3rd-generation-2005-2012/380078-quiet-tires-06-avalon-4.html

[see my post #59] See also:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es350/614698-need-help-with-tires-2007-es-350-a-2.html#post7044176

what primacy there is several models as well as oem spec and non-oem spec.

The model that Consumer Reports tested was the Primacy MXV4. It was actually an OEM tire, in the P215/60R16 94H configuration (OEM for Nissan Altima hybrid).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The model that Consumer Reports tested was the Primacy MXV4. It was actually an OEM tire, in the P215/60R16 94H configuration (OEM for Nissan Altima hybrid).

Really!? Every 16" OE tire I've seen on the various Altima trims has been the Continental ContiProContact. My Coupe came with the 215/60-16 94T 540 A A spec model.

I sort of wish mine came with the Primacy MXV4. As I previously mentioned, I put on a set of them on our VUE and have been very, very happy with them.

With that said, while the Continental ContiProContact doesn't get very good reviews on TireRack.com, I've been very happy with them and will consider another set when it comes time to replace them. The Michelin Primary MXV4, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, and Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S are the contenders, all of which cost 20-25% more.

I'll most likely get the primacy mxm4's if I can find a decent deal on them next year. I have winter tires or I would most likely get the mxv4's for their greater snow traction

Originally Posted By: barlowc

Really!? Every 16" OE tire I've seen on the various Altima trims has been the Continental ContiProContact. My Coupe came with the 215/60-16 94T 540 A A spec model.

Yep, check out:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/primacy-mxv4-tires

Go down to the size chart and look for part number 06273. The "N" in the OE code field stands for Nissan. These are P215/60R16 94H, 500-A-A.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'll most likely get the primacy mxm4's if I can find a decent deal on them next year. I have winter tires or I would most likely get the mxv4's for their greater snow traction

Agreed. I'm in the same boat, and I want to kill my OEM Goodyears good and dead before springing for Primacy MXM4's. Quiet, LRR, and grippy when needed? Yes, please!

I currently have Michelin Primacy MXV4s and used Continental Conti-Pro-Contacts in a 205/60/16 tire. The Conti-Pro Contact was an Ok tire,handled fine and was quiet with good fuel economy, but it seemed to wear rather quickly. I had a couple sets and they wouldn't have lasted 40,000 miles in my use. They had a tendency to get punctured and I had to replace them prematurely. Since I have purchased the Michelin Primacy MXV4 H, I have been happy. The Michelins are performing and wearing well and no punctures. The Contis are quite a bit cheaper.

I'm seriously considering getting some MXV4s on my cruze come fall, before winter. But I just can't decide. Spending that much on a tire when there are ones for $30/$40 a tire less that might do the job just fine... Well, it's a hard pill to swallow. I keep see-sawing between the MXV4s, the Hankook H727, the Kumho Ecsta LX platinum, and the Continental Procontact w/ecoplus. Ugh, too many tire choices. Though I suppose it's better than the nox, where the only decent tire option is the Pirelli Scorpion.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'm seriously considering getting some MXV4s on my cruze come fall, before winter. But I just can't decide. Spending that much on a tire when there are ones for $30/$40 a tire less that might do the job just fine... Well, it's a hard pill to swallow. I keep see-sawing between the MXV4s, the Hankook H727, the Kumho Ecsta LX platinum, and the Continental Procontact w/ecoplus. Ugh, too many tire choices. Though I suppose it's better than the nox, where the only decent tire option is the Pirelli Scorpion.

The Defender may be a better choice if you need something that lasts forever...

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I don't know anything about the defender. tirerack has it in my my size but the "surveys" isn't available yet.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Having a set installed on our TSX this Friday at Discount Tire. They had a decent deal and rebate, I found a better deal and they beat it.

While expensive to buy, the Primacy MXV4's have been pretty economical for me. I'll probably replace them before next winter, which will mean I'll have about 100K miles on them. So, $$ per mile they've been pretty good. Also, handling hasn't deteriorated and noise levels haven't increased as the tires have worn, so the functional life of the tire is really good. The Defender certainly looks interesting, though since it's not available in my size I really haven't paid much attention. I know when I replace these I'll be going back to the same tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I don't know anything about the defender. tirerack has it in my my size but the "surveys" isn't available yet.

The Defender just launched last month, it is a replacement for the Hydroedge and Harmony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back