Get consealed or buy a bolt action rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Cabela's and can't decide on getting my consealed license with a Glock gen 3 40 cal or SW S&P 40 cal OOORRRR.... get a bolt action rifle? I was looking at the Mossberg ATR 100 earlier, but have now held and played with the Browning and Weatherby.. The Browning to me feels the nicest and best built.

So, purchase a 40 cal hand gun and get my consealed or get a bolt action 308 rifle??

I have not had a hand gun in over 8 years..
Dustin

Last edited:
Dustin what are your needs?

You are talking about two very different things here.

Do you need protection?

Are you going to hunt?

The rifle would be for target shooting, I have a dedicated hunting rifle already.

The handgun, Take to the range every so often

Protection, I have my HD 870 4+1 18.5" for that. Even in the event of an intruder, I would reach for mt 12 gauge EVERY time.

Are there any advantages to having a consealed with a 40 cal?
Dustin

A lot of people love the 40, personally if I had to have just one hand gun I would pick a 9mm, as it is cheap to shoot and you can get ammo anywhere.

I would go for the carry gun, I don't always carry, but I like having the option. The concealed carry license also makes the process of buying a gun much easier no waiting for a background check each time you buy.

Why is it that you do not want to shoot targets with your hunting rifle. Is it chambered in an expensive caliber? I am of the school that hunting and shooting targets with the same rifle makes one a much more confident hunter. If you are talking heavy barreled dedicated target rifles that is another story.

Whatever you buy I would shop around some local gun shops too. Cabelas can have great deals, but not always.

Calibers
For Handguns
I see .40 as a compromise between 9mm and .45 ACP both in power and expense. The price of .40 ammo has gone over the years now that law enforcement is making the switch. If you go for a polymer handgun I would choose the Glock as it has the best resale value.

Rifles

What is your current rifle chambered in?
If you got another what Caliber would you choose?

I saw the Glock at Academy for $499..
I have a 30-06 Whetherby that I have set up for hunting.

Not a bad deal, I don't know much about the specifics of glocks other than resale is good. You might want to check out a forum like thefiringline for more details.

I hunt with a 30-06 as well. It's a solid performer with great ammo availability.

As said, it's like asking if you should get a new pickup or new car. It depends.

I'm not sure what you mean here:
"Are there any advantages to having a consealed with a 40 cal?"
Are you asking if there is any reason to own a concealable handgun when you have the 870, or are you asking if there is any advantage to .40 caliber?

If you are asking about caliber specifically, I am not a big .40 fan myself so admit some bias up front. As a compromise caliber, I don't see that it excels at anything except that-compromising. People who have studied gunshot wounds (like ballisticians, ER docs who are also gun enthusiasts, etc, and not gun magazine educated) generally feel that any of the top brand/line self defense ammo from 9mm through .45 is so close it hardly matters. Even Gunsite (the land of the .45) instructors will tell you they can't identify the caliber by watching gunfight footage or an autopsy. Those who want every edge they can, will go with the .45. Those who want more bullets go with 9mm. Most people I know who prefer the .40 choose it as a compromise.

The .40 fans will say it gives the best of both worlds- increased capacity over the .45 and increased power over the .45. I suppose, but as a pessimist, I look at the negative and see it giving the worst of both worlds also- reduced capacity compared to a 9mm and reduced power compared to the .45. I waffle back and forth between 9 and 45 sometimes, since I either want big bullets or lots of bullets. I've never been very happy sitting in the middle with several medium bullets. If I give up rounds in the magazine, I want big ones. If I give up bullet size, I want a bunch more of them.

I also think the .40 recoil is worse than either. It's not heavy, and no magnum in recoil but it feels sharp and quick to me. I'd rather have either the heavy push like the .45 or light and quick of the 9mm (both relatively speaking) than the fairly heavy/fairly quick of the .40. I'm not saying you or anyone else can't handle it, but if you've not even owned a handgun for eight years, I have doubts you will do your best shooting by jumping back in with a .40.

But if you're asking about the perceived necessity of having a concealable handgun (and I think that may be the case since you say you have the 870 and acted like that should cover about any defensive need):
This may sound harsh, but it is what it is- If one has to ask if there is any possible need for a concealed carry handgun, their mind isn't right for getting one yet.

Originally Posted By: BarryinIN

I also think the .40 recoil is worse than either. It's not heavy, and no magnum in recoil but it feels sharp and quick to me. I'd rather have either the heavy push like the .45 or light and quick of the 9mm (both relatively speaking) than the fairly heavy/fairly quick of the .40.

This mirrors my experiences as well.

I have a great CZ 75 B SA that I got for IDPA and as much as I love it I prefer to use a Browning GP in 9mm.

Originally Posted By: willypete
I would go for the carry gun, I don't always carry, but I like having the option. The concealed carry license also makes the process of buying a gun much easier no waiting for a background check each time you buy.

Why is it that you do not want to shoot targets with your hunting rifle. Is it chambered in an expensive caliber? I am of the school that hunting and shooting targets with the same rifle makes one a much more confident hunter. If you are talking heavy barreled dedicated target rifles that is another story.

Whatever you buy I would shop around some local gun shops too. Cabelas can have great deals, but not always.

This is a good post.

In my own opinion, I'd opt for the S&W M&P instead of the Glock. Their frames are a bit stronger due to some reinforcing, they use stainless steel where Glock uses steel and they're American made to boot.

The M&P and Glock function very similar and should be similar in reliability. You should hold both in your hand though, as they a bit different in grip angle. I prefer the S&W myself, but to each, their own.

I also feel that a 9mm is a good caliber to get into hand guns with. They're both cheap and pleasant to shoot, yet effective enough to stop an attacker.

Last edited:
Glock steel is Tennifer treated, so M&P stainless advantage is moot. Tennifer hardens the steel in addition to giving it corrosion resistance.

OP--I like 40. I can get 9mm and 357 SIG conversion barrels for a Glock as well. Advantage Arms makes a great conversion kit allowing you to practice with cheap 22LR in a Glock.

For carry only I would go with a 9mm. It will be a smaller package than a .40. I've been drooling over Ruger LC9 and Kel-Tec PF9 as my new carry guns. Smaller than either G26 or G27. With CCW smaller package makes it more likely that you will carry it. A Raging Bull in 454 Casull (my all-time favorite handgun/caliber) is no good to you, if it stays in the safe at home.

Both.. if you have to make a decision between two weapons that means you most likely want both, so buy both.. get the 40 first as you already have a dedicated long gun... problem solved.

I disagree about the .40 S&W. Plenty of muzzle energy, plenty of capacity. I would recommend a Ruger SR40c. Small, 15rd. mag, polymer frame, great sights, crisp trigger.

Concealed. Consealed isn't a word.

.40S&W is a caliber that I don't much like. I would much rather shoot 10mm. No compromise and frankly (this is going to be weird and controversial) the 10mm recoil is less "pesky" than .40S&W. Especially in the small Glock, the .40 I just don't like. I can shoot 10mm all day long in my Glock 20 or S&W 1006. I have a .40 barrel for my Sig P229, but I almost always use the .357Sig barrel.

Go with 9mm as your only hand gun. Your wallet will thank you.

I wouldn't buy a gun at Cabela's. Their prices lately (here) are just crazy.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: willypete

This is a good post.

In my own opinion, I'd opt for the S&W M&P instead of the Glock. Their frames are a bit stronger due to some reinforcing, they use stainless steel where Glock uses steel and they're American made to boot.

The M&P and Glock function very similar and should be similar in reliability. You should hold both in your hand though, as they a bit different in grip angle. I prefer the S&W myself, but to each, their own.

I also feel that a 9mm is a good caliber to get into hand guns with. They're both cheap and pleasant to shoot, yet effective enough to stop an attacker.

+1. I had an M&P .45, put several thousand rounds thought it and it NEVER jammed.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

.40S&W is a caliber that I don't much like. I would much rather shoot 10mm.

Yeah, 10mm is a good caliber for somebody just starting off. Maybe he'll have time to work on his spelling as he is driving around going shop to shop looking for the ever-rare 10mm.

I do agree that 10mm is great but 40 is cheap and easy to find so unless he gets into reloading 40 is the smarter choice. My CCW is a XD-40 sub-compact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back