Did I ruin my hydraulic valve lifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing my head gasktets in my Buick and decided to clean the valve lifters. I sprayed Berryman B-12 Chemtool in the hole on the side and on top of the valve lifter. I was in AutoZone today and asked what they recommended for cleaning them. He said I'm going to have to replace them now because I sprayed that stuff in there. At $16 a peice, it will cost me $266 to replace them all.

You shouldn't have to replace them, as you should be able to refill them with oil. I believe this process involves holding them upside down in a cup of clean oil.

Geez, dont ask a counter guy/gal at autozone for advice for anything. john, just clean them in some kero, the fill them with motor oil by pumping underoil with an unused pushrod lying about. kero is a pretty safe light paraffin solvent for parts cleaning.

Last edited:
^^^what ARCO said^^^

That counterman is either a moron or he's trying to increase his sales commission. There's nothing inside a lifter that can be damaged by B-12.

Geez. You did't harm them, there's no rubber gasket or O-ring or anything like that. Just re-fill them with clean motor oil before re-assembling them into the engine, dab some break-in lube on the bottom of each one. The following applies only to NON-roller lifters... stop reading NOW if you have roller lifters!

Ideally you should have put each one back on the exact same lobe of the cam that it rode before, if you swapped them you'll have to let them "re-break in" to the new wear pattern. Run a high-ZDDP oil for the first change and pretend you're breaking in a new cam if you swapped them around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Geez, dont ask a counter guy/gal at autozone for advice for anything. john, just clean them in some kero, the fill them with motor oil by pumping underoil with an unused pushrod lying about. kero is a pretty safe light paraffin solvent for parts cleaning.

True, just had one tell me the only fuel line I could use as a replacement (for steel line) is braided rubber.
smirk.gif

As for the litters, did you run the engine with the b12 in there? If not no harm done, just fill them up with oil again as mentioned.

All of the lifters have been mixed up. So what kind of oil besides high mileage has enough zinc?
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Geez. You did't harm them, there's no rubber gasket or O-ring or anything like that. Just re-fill them with clean motor oil before re-assembling them into the engine, dab some break-in lube on the bottom of each one. The following applies only to NON-roller lifters... stop reading NOW if you have roller lifters!

Ideally you should have put each one back on the exact same lobe of the cam that it rode before, if you swapped them you'll have to let them "re-break in" to the new wear pattern. Run a high-ZDDP oil for the first change and pretend you're breaking in a new cam if you swapped them around.

Yes they're rollers. I'll probably just soak them in oil overnight and then coat them in assembly lube before installing them.

If you want to clean them, just take them apart and clean them up with emery clothe. Then check them by doing a leak down test. Replace and bad ones and your good to go.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If you want to clean them, just take them apart and clean them up with emery clothe. Then check them by doing a leak down test. Replace and bad ones and your good to go.

How is this leak down test performed?

As others have said, you've done no damage to them, that parts counter person is a moron. They are a metal plunger in a metal bore with a metal spring. Nothing to be damaged by a solvent.

I would just put them back in, pour oil on them and go. There is no reason they are going to have anything wrong with them. Just be sure to pull the ignition or fuel fuse and crank her over a while before you start it to get oil into them. The may tap for a minute after you start it, but it should go away.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

How is this leak down test performed?

You need a special tool. Fill lifer with oil, then insert into the tool (looks like an arbor press) and watch the dial gauge as you push down on the tool arm, to measure the leak down.

You didn't ruin anything (sigh...) and they will pump the solvent out in the first several revolutions of the engine running with oil pressure.

If you want to really be certain, purge them before install (used to do this with old hydraulic, flat tappet lifters)...submerge them in oil, using an old coffee can (something strong) then using a pushrod (or any other smooth tool), pump the lifter to purge the solvent and replace it with oil...then install and don't worry about them...

You're not going to clean much by spraying some cleaner in the oil feed hole. If you're dedicated, remove the snap ring on top and tear them apart.

I did it on the engine I rebuilt for my wife's car. All the lifters were completely gutted and by some miracle, they still work! (If you ask your moron counterman)

I would not try and fill them externally. You can fill them up, and the valves wont seat. This makes hard starting and rough running for a while.
Also, you MAY kiss a piston.

so let nature take it's course and just start her up.
Expect some ticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back