Best Dry Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks - when I was referring to "blast cleaning' with magadoses - it applied to used purchased beasts (read: cheap) that had zero maintenance...so I have given the fuel system a few good blasts, then went into a longer pattern clean up. Has worked well for some cars....

quote:

Originally posted by S2000driver:
To isopropyl or not, that is the question
wink.gif

What's the best brand?
Is once a year (say, every November) often enough for a newish car?

I'm no mechanic, but I DID have a chat once with a guy that flew crop dusters. He felt (at the time, that was over 10 years ago) that isopropyl was just dandy stuff. As for brand, just go to a pharmacy and ask for 99% pure isopropyl (if they give you funny looks, it may be because I've been told it's useful for some sort of narcotics thing as well)
Pour some in a glass and add an ice cube. You'll see for yourself how it attacks H2O. The last bit of the ice cube takes longer to go away, but 2 ounces of isopropyl takes about 1 ounce of water within a minute, so if you think there is 5 ounces of water in your tank, I'd add 5 ounces and 1 ounce every tank or two. That's what *I* would do but I'm no expert...
Do not add it to gasohol. A gasohol chemist I spoke with said that can really mess things up. He also said that when they were launching gasohol they thought they'd be plugging up a lot of fuel filters, bought a lot of fuel filters and sold them at the gas bars. 10 years later they still had 90% of the filters
wink.gif

In Manitoba the government is in the process of making it so that all gasoline will have to have 5% methanol, then 6% the next year, up to 10%. Something like that, I'm not following it too big. And I don't think I've ever heard of dry gasoline, but then again I think I only today figured out what VOA and UOA are (virgin and used oil analysis, right??)

In Illinois almost 100% of the gas sold has 10% ethanol in it. This is true for parts of Indiana and iowa too. I would assume elsewhere. I personally don't see how the Heet additive is still being sold. Really ignorant customers. I can get one gallon of ethanol with every 10 gallon fill. Of course I also get less mileage that with straight gas but the fuel system stays very clean.

I have bought 99% Iso at a drug store. You can get a gallon of denatured ethanol at hardware stores in the paint departments.

I think you'll only see gasohol in the farm states...something to do with political pressure or something like that. There were a few stations selling gasohol with 10% ethanol here in western Washington several years ago, but it didn't last. As you say, lower fuel mileage, and ethanol requires more btus to produce it than it yields as fuel. A bottle of Iso-Heet is always in my car & truck in case I get a tank of watery gas, which I have gotten once or twice over the years.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back