Toyota SN 0W20 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, their additives package is blended to their specs/formula...
but it is not that different from our own label mix.

Of course this can all change again if they get a different supplier. You would be surprised to see how little differences
their is between add packs for the various brands we make for other companies.

Just like baking cookies, some recipes call for generic chocolate chips, and others for Godiva chocolates in their batter.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

If you compare the VOA of the Toyota 0W20 and the Mobil1 0W20
you will see substantial differences.

Disagree about what?

Of course the additives package is different, but there really isn't that much difference in their formulas.

Just like different recipes, there are substitutions due to either cost or
requested vendor specific requirements. (The type of moly in the Toyota 0w20 oil)
(example-Like using real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup)

Again, I laugh at all the arguments over splitting hairs over nothing, which in fact rather comical.

I'm impressed on CATERHAM knowledge on oil, and he is right on, in his many recommendation to other BITOG members of using the "lightest" oil you can get away with, while still protecting/minimizing wear of internal parts.
Of course their are exceptions to this like people who track or race their vehicles often,
and will need the factory recommended weight oil, or heavier for shear protection.

So OK, I won't waste my time arguing with you in your
insistence on toyota oil being SO different from Mobil 1.
It is great oil though.

Last edited:
Disagree about the basic differences in the oils...That's "what" !

The basic formulations including the add packs are different.
Guess you didn't bother to READ and do a meaningful comparison.

To begin, Toyota's 0W20 has a VI of 216, Mobil 1 0W20 is a paltry 173. Thats huge right there !

In addition, Toyota's 0W20 40C cST is 37.38, Mobils 0W20 40C cST is 44.8 Close? NOPE !

Toyota's 0W20 100c cSt is 8.54, Mobil 1 0W20 100c cST is 8.7

Toyota's 0W20 HTHS is 2.6, Mobil 1's 0W20 is 2.7

That makes the Toyota 0W20 about 25% lighter than the Mobil 0W20 at room temperature, and about 30% lighter at 0C (32F)

Close ? Hardly!!!!

And I'm laughing too..because it's the NUMBERS AND FACTS that show the difference, not mouthology insisting the two oils are close.

And yes, it's a great oil, one of the lightest 0W20's easily available.

I apologize for being rather jaded after 28 years on the oil business, but I don't get excited over small numbers anymore CMMeadAM.

Realistically, having a high VI compared to other oils is not
the "end-all" to determine a quality oil.

Your comparisons over the HTHS and 100c cSt is rather petty
and really miniscule if you step back and look at the overall
"realistic" quality of the oil.

On paper, yes... the Toyota spec'ed 0W/20 is great oil for it's speced application,
and should serve it's users well.

Hi madmax_ooohhh and a belated welcome to BITOG.

Would you be able to dig up some spec's on the Toyota oil from your old employer?
Specifically the MRV @ -40 degrees would be of value a number of members.
I did manage to get the figure from Toyota Canada when Nippon Oil was still making the oil for Toyota and it was 18,000cP.
Now that XOM is making it I'm assuming it's likely still in the same ball park but who knows for sure.
Whatever you can find out would be great?

CATERHAM,

I e-mailed one of my former colleagues, and hopefully he replies
in a timely manner.
He travels often between the US and India where we have one of our R&D facilities.

Since I did not personally work on the Toyota contract formulation, and I believe he did... he can hopefully provide
the specs you are looking for.

Thanks for that.

Also, when chatting with him, if possible could you ask your former colleague if he could comment on the drop in the organic moly additive from nominally 650 ppm of the GF-4 formulation to 124 ppm for the GF-5. It may simply be a change in the source of the moly which I believe Mobil continued with the Adeka Sakura-lube that Nippon Oil was using in the GF-4 oil. With the move to GF-5 I'm sure Mobil is using their own in-house sources for the AW additive. That being the case is it the much ballyhooed trinuclear form of the compound that can get by with a lower concentration to achieve the same effect?
I appreciate that this might be crossing the line into proprietary info' but whatever light he can shed would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

OK, just got a reply email from my colleague, and he confirmed
that we are using a moly from Infineum for the Toyota formula.

Apparently, we are using a smaller amount due to it's efficient
nature.

I'll post another message when i get the numbers for MRV @ -40 degrees.

madmax_ooohhh - Thank you for the exceptional information.

I feel we understand the Toyota product much better now. Thank you! I'm glad it comes from such a great company.

Sorry gentlemen for the late reply.
I was only able to get these results for our blend for Toyota 0w20:

SG@15./15.6C = 0.850
KV@100C cSt = 150
KV@40C cSt = 1500
Pour Pt C = -33

I'm still waiting for the MRV@-40C results from my other former colleague.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info and discussion guys. I have a new Toyota on order that uses 0W-20 so I just added two cases to my stash.

Prius30kUOA.png

Hard to tell because this oil has 10k miles on it, but these numbers seem more accurate. Only 76 ppm of moly being used and based on this UOA, the ZDP levels are correct and it would meet the SN standard. This Lab is way off.

How is this oil keeping things clean with 1,700 ppm of Ca and barely any Mg? Interesting...

There are quite a few UOA of the Toyota 0W-20 posted now and I've never seen moly and ZDDP levels that low.
Do we know what the previous oil that was run in this engine? That would have a diluting effect.

I picked up a case of Toyota SN 0w20 today. It worked out to $5.70/l plus tax.

While I drive a Toyota Tundra (I actually use PP 5w30 in that as that is what is recommended for the 4.7L), I am buying this oil for my Acura TL 3.5L. After much reading on here I see it is recommended over the Honda Full Synthetic 0W20.

Would you agree this is a good choice for the Acura? I feel this would be a good year round oil for our winters and since honda specs 0w20 anyways for these cars. Being in Canada I do not believe the part numbers are the same as most of the forum posts about the US TGMO. Can anyone confirm I bought the same oil you are all talking about? It says Synthetic 0W-20 on the front so I assume it must be full synthetic.

Last edited:
What is the part number?

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. It does say synthetic, but what is the definition of synthetic? Pretty vague IMO.

The Part # on the invoice is C0BB-0W20SN-0L.

I did some more reading and Caterham says it is the same stuff as in the states.

So if anyone doesnt see any reason why this oil would not be great for an Acura TL then I believe this will be the new oil for me.

I was previously using Costrol Edge 5W20.

From SAE paper 2012-01-1614, on Toyota's GF-5 0W-20 oil:

"...a specific organic friction modifier greatly reduced friction under mixed lubrication conditions, compared to a conventional molybdenum-based friction modifier." Moly content, by mass: 0.01 GF-5, 0.07 GF-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back