Recommend Me a New Vacuum Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dirt Devil HEPA model has seen it's better days.

Need a new Vacuum Cleaner. I don't mind paying extra for an upper bracket one.

So, which HEPA Vacuum Cleaners are the better ones and which do you recommend?

Thanks!!

Get on craigslist and look for a Rainbow. Not cheap new or used but do a good job of cleaning without filters.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
I would suggest you visit this thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2603051#Post2603051

Asking for opinions about vacuums is like asking for opinions about politics or religion.

That said, I've owned a Dyson DC14 for about 6 years now and it's been trouble free. I can assure you though, someone is going to take the exact opposite stand on Dyson in this discussion.

Oh geez, I didn't see that or the consumer section.
33.gif

We have 3 Dysons-a DC07 for the main level of the house, and two DC14's-one in the lower level of the house and one at our lake home.

I haven't had a single problem with any of them. Once a year I take each one apart (simple to do) and clean the filters and blow out the dust. The DC14 gets swapped with the lake house DC14 once a year so I don't have to clean the vacuum while we're there.

I was able to purchase the DC07 and one of the DC14's as refurbished (both were like brand new when purchased, so I assume they were returns) and the second DC14 was at the end of the model run and similarly discounted. I paid less than $300 for each of them, and would do it again.

Having had several of the "cheapie" vacuums, one of which failed in a dramatic shower of sparks, I won't go back to the $100 vacuums. If the day ever comes that I need to replace one of our Dysons, I'll replace it with another Dyson. But I doubt that I'll ever need to replace any of them.

We own several Dysons. Some are used commercially, and there's a couple nicer ones in the house.

They are very effective, rarely require anything, and emit really clean air while doing a terrific job. Plus they last longer than expensive commercial vacs. You never buy filters or bags.

Many of them have a 5 year warranty, and they can be cheaply had on Overstock and other sites.

I have had some clients who say they can be hard to push across certain kinds of carpets. But they are great machines.

I have a Dyson DC25 and I love it. It has crazy powerful suction and is built very well. The filters are washable and reusable. I'm amazed at how much dirt and dust it picks up every time I use it. It's pricy but well worth it. Dyson makes quality products and work very well.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Get either a Shark Pro Navigator or Hoover Wind Tunnel Air. Easy on the wallet and picks up as good as a Dyson.

Read the reviews on both.

Wind Tunnels burn out often...not sure why.

The Shark Navs do well though. Dysons rock as well...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I have had some clients who say they can be hard to push across certain kinds of carpets. But they are great machines.

Thats the case with our Dyson. Had new carpet installed and the lack of a height adjustment on the Dyson,made us look at other options to replace our 6 month old Dyson.

For a quiet upright:
Proteam proforce 1500XP
11 amp dual motor, 96CFM, 67dB, 18 lbs, 50 ft 18 ga cord, HEPA, [email protected]

Thing is, just look on EBay for a used one. Should be able to pick one up for low $200's.

We asked around a few years ago which vacuum cleaner to buy... everyone who owned one told us to get a Dyson. So we bought one from Costco, and I've never been happier with a vacuum cleaner. It does an amazing job of cleaning, it's easy to empty and it's very easy to disassemble it to clean out - obviously designed by a competent engineer.

I would buy another one in an instant if this one broke but after 6 years of use it still works perfectly.

Had a Hoover wind tunnel (bagless) and a Dirt Devil (bagful) before this one. Compared to the Dyson, they both suck... and not in a good way!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Get either a Shark Pro Navigator or Hoover Wind Tunnel Air. Easy on the wallet and picks up as good as a Dyson.

Read the reviews on both.

Wind Tunnels burn out often...not sure why.

The Shark Navs do well though. Dysons rock as well...

Mine needs a new set of belts every 4-6 months. Luckily they're pretty cheap.

Last edited:
old kirby off of craigslist.if you look you can get one in the $50-$100 range.best bang for the buck out there.only reason to pass is if you are old,weak,or injured as they are heavy.
only real negative.
let someone else lose the depreciation from new.

I've had a Hoover Wind Tunnel that the wife and I got with wedding money when we got married. I have no idea what model but it cost around $250 IIRC, which I thought was crazy. It's lasted 11 years and hasn't broken a belt in at least the last 4. It's a beast but cleans very well. I've always said I'd buy a Dyson when it breaks. But I may buy one anyway since I've heard complaints about having to clean the stairs with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back