Burning/Using Delo 400

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 6.9L Ford/International uses some oil. About a qt in 800 miles. I put Delo in it when I changed it when I got the truck.

Reading the diesel forums this seems to be a common deal when using Delo. I wonder why? The recomended oil is Rotella, guys say that the Rotella does not get burned/used like the Delo.

I don't have any Rotella but I do have some Castrol Techion (how ever you spell it) I'm going to try.

Thoughts?

I've noticed that engines burn oil at first when switching brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I have heard of it but never seen it myself

Just happened to me for the first time. Did a 12k run on PU. Went back to M1, lost a qt in less than 3000 miles. This is in a vehicle that has never had consuption.

DELO/Rotella/Delvac are the ne plus ultra of diesel engine oils. Run the DELO for a while. If it still consumes, change it.

A quart in 800 is not great but here are some tips:

1) Check your CDR valve (Crankcase Depression Regulator), which functions as a crankcase ventilation device and when inoperative, will cause the engine to consume more oil. The CDR is designed to separate the liquid oil from the crankcase blowby gasses and returns the oil to the engine. The CDR mounts to the back of the intake manifold. If you see a lot of oil in the intake, it's probably a bad CDR, though sometimes it just gums up. Mine has just failed for the first time since new.

2) Don't top off with this engine. When it reaches the add mark, it takes two quarts to bring it up to the full mark. When it reaches that point, only add one quart. That upper quart will burn off quickly but the second one much more slowly. Been doing this with mine since I was given that tip by a fellow Ford tech back in the '80s.

Over the 25 years I've owned 6.9L, it has used oil... no matter what oil... in regular amounts. You can safely say they were designed to use some oil. I've used both Delo and Rotella, both 15W40 and 10W30 and there is no significant difference in the amount used. I even had some 15W40 Royal Purple in there for one OCI and it even slurped some of that. I think you will find the same with the Tection.

Here is something from an old Ford TSB:

ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECKING PROCEDURE for LIGHT TRUCK 1983-86 E AND F SERIES TSB:

In order to measure engine oil levels consistently and accurately, it is useful to employ the following recommendations:

Park vehicle on level surface. Low oil level readings will be obtained if the vehicle is sloped away from the dipstick.

Have engine at normal operating temperature as oil expands at the rate of one percent per 25~F (14~C) change and the dipstick is calibrated to the engine at normal operating temperature. In addition, allow at least a fifteen (15) minute engine shutdown period to assure that oil contained in the upper parts of the engine has returned to the oil pan.

Have dipstick loop directed inboard as this eases installation and minimizes wiping action on oil level gauge.

Read oil level on both sides of gauge and use highest level (reading) for the actual engine oil level.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I've had that happen to me as well, over time it stopped, just the cleaning as a result of an add pack change was all I could figure. I'd stick with the Delo a while and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

1) Check your CDR valve (Crankcase Depression Regulator), which functions as a crankcase ventilation device and when inoperative, will cause the engine to consume more oil. The CDR is designed to separate the liquid oil from the crankcase blowby gasses and returns the oil to the engine. The CDR mounts to the back of the intake manifold. If you see a lot of oil in the intake, it's probably a bad CDR, though sometimes it just gums up. Mine has just failed for the first time since new.

I read about that thing on another forum. I pulled it off and don't know how to test it. I can blow through it by mouth.

Local Ford Stealer does not know what it is so they can't get me a price for a new one.

I just got one from my Ford dealer and they had no trouble finding it in the parts book, getting it overnight and selling it to me for about $65. It was part number E3TZ6A665A and for calls it an adapter assembly for crankcase ventilation #. You can also get them from IH dealers and the part number I have for that is 1805319C1.

I have the '86 factory manuals for my truck and they don't show how to test them, but what I have always been told is that id you have an excess of oil in the intake, the CDR is likely bad. If you look in and see the rubber diaphragm damaged, that's an other obvious sign. I never ran into a bad one back in the days I worked on those trucks and my experience since is limited to just my own truck.

Wow! I'm looking at the receipt for mine- $60 plus tax. List price on the invoice, $80. Found a couple on the new for $65 but when you added shipping...? I guess that's the difference between Caliprunia and Ohio.

Gonna install mine tonite. Might take the old one apart to see what makes it tick, if there's time.

Wanted to update this with some new info from a 1986 TSB on oil consumption. It lists Ford's "acceptable" consumption:

"LIGHT TRUCK 1983-86 E-SERIES, F-SERIES ISSUE:
Oil consumption for the 6.9L diesel will vary with the way the vehicle is driven, the vehicle load, or normal variations that may occur from one engine to another. This is especially true during the first 7,500 miles (12,000 kilometers) when the new engine is being "broken in" or until certain internal engine components become conditioned. Heavyduty operation (such as trailer towing, heavy loads, large frontal areas, sustained high-speed driving, sustained driving in lower gears, frequent or extended idling, or frequent short trips) may use more oil. Vehicles in normal usage should get at least 900 miles per quart after the first 7,500 miles (12,000 kilometers). Vehicles in heavy-duty operation, as defined above, may use a quart of oil every 750 miles (1,200 kilometers). On vehicles with extended idle, a quart of oil every 50 gallons of fuel may be consumed. Vehicles loaded past the maximum recommended GCW of 14,000 lbs. or with over 60 sq.ft. frontal area may use more than a quart of oil every 750 miles (1,200 kilometers)."

Also, got my CDR installed but there's nothing notable to report.

Last edited:
Put my new CDR on last Saturday. 99% of my exhaust smoke is gone! It would really roll coal with the old CDR so I'm assuming that much of my oil was going through it and being burned in the cylinders.

I made a note of my milage when I changed the oil and will report back when I'm down to add.

Here is another tidbit of useful info for you Chris. According to TSB 86-10-14, the maximum acceptable soot level for the IDI in 1986 was 3 percent.

Ok im down 1 qt. It's halfway between full and add. Took 1000 miles. We will see how long it takes to get to the add mark. I do run it pretty hard. 75mph is 3000 rpm and thats where I run it on the fwy.

Reading around on the net it's not uncommon for the 6.9 to use some oil especially if worked hard. Some people say that the valve stem seals are the cause. I'm thinking of putting in 2 qts of high milage oil when it gets 2 qts low and seeing if that improves it any.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Ok im down 1 qt. It's halfway between full and add. Took 1000 miles. We will see how long it takes to get to the add mark. I do run it pretty hard. 75mph is 3000 rpm and thats where I run it on the fwy.

Reading around on the net it's not uncommon for the 6.9 to use some oil especially if worked hard. Some people say that the valve stem seals are the cause. I'm thinking of putting in 2 qts of high milage oil when it gets 2 qts low and seeing if that improves it any.

It won't but I guess you have to try. ( : < )

Here's an idea...tad expensive, but MAY be worth a shot.

Drain the oil, and do an OC with a full-synthetic 15W-40 or 5W-40, a real high-quality one, like Amsoil DEO, M1 TDT, or Valvoline Premuim Blue Extreme 5W-40.

I'm wondering if a higher-quality lube will resist volatility and burn-off better, or if it cleans deposits and lets the rings seal better.

Might be worth a shot, Chris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back