7.3 powerstroke wont start, tons of aeration

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just put in a used motor in this f-550 tow truck and cant get it to start. found out after taking the fuel filter off and watching the bowl while someone turns the key to the run position the fuel is aerating so fast its like a soda can foaming up with so many bubbles if you get what i mean. anyone have any input on this, we put on a new high pressure oil pump and have great oil pressure readings from the scan tool. we have no codes, and the thing will only run off starting fluid.no leaks in any of the fuel lines. its a 2001 f-550 7.3 auto pos any ideas what can cause the aeration? can it be the fuel filter housing itself? yes we are a professional shop but theres [censored] out there that kicks our asses too. and the service manager is just throwing parts at it, and im getting tired of working on the [censored] thing especially since im the fill in diesel tech right now

we primed and primed, im thinking bad fuel pump? leak somewhere in that area, cant get to the pump area without using a forklift to take off the platform since its a tow truck. its a [censored] situation, i didnt diagnose the truck to why it needed a motor in the first place, so i have no idea if the old motor even ran or what reasoning behind it was that it even needed to be replaced. word of advice dont become a auto tech. lack of communication is the number one killer in shops. o did i mention im not a diesel tech, im a heavy line tech taking the blame.

Last edited:
im gonna swap out the filter housing assembly, i think it has a sensor on it. i ran a smoke test on the fuel lines and didnt see [censored] btw.

Is the tank decently full of fuel? Maybe the fuel gauge is reading wrong and the pump is sucking air? Have you tried adding like 5 gals fuel to see what it does?
If thats okay, I would disconnect the line from the pump and throw some hose on it to a bucket and see what comes out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rainvic
we primed and primed, im thinking bad fuel pump? leak somewhere in that area, cant get to the pump area without using a forklift to take off the platform since its a tow truck. its a [censored] situation, i didnt diagnose the truck to why it needed a motor in the first place, so i have no idea if the old motor even ran or what reasoning behind it was that it even needed to be replaced. word of advice dont become a auto tech. lack of communication is the number one killer in shops. o did i mention im not a diesel tech, im a heavy line tech taking the blame.

Likely previous engine also would not run due to entrapped air in fuel.

Air in the line must be coming in from somewhere.
Is there a restriction in the line flowing to the pump?
Which could cause a vacuum and perhaps draw air out of the fuel.

or how about also trying another fuel source.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
maybe a suction leak (air in the fuel system)

Charlie

Yup, either that or it's not primed properly... Possibly there is a problem inside the tank causing it to suck air(been there done that with a Olds diesel I had 20+ years ago)...

Unless maybe extreme heat, bubbles cant form if there isn't air...

It is sucking air from a source before the filter most likely. Replace the fuel line from the tank to the filter head first. It could be sucking air anywhere before the filter head. If you have two tanks replace both lines to the fuel tank seperator and on to the filter head. Use a good quality diesel fuel line.

Pinhole in the fuel line sucking air...on the 2001 F-550 wrecker I drove, it was more or less directly under the firewall. It did NOT drip fuel...would have been a lot easier to find if it had!

That truck was wrecked with over 900,000 miles on the original engine.

at this point the only thing i can think of is a pinhole in the only two rubber lines that run from the filter housing down to the rail. replace those and still dont run, well [censored] mr shop foreman can have the keys whether he says he does diesels or not.

Was the vehicle ever run on biodiesel? We have seen on some of the 7.3L's the tank liner de-laminate and clog the pickup in the tank on vehicles that have had biodiesel of questionable quality run in them.

nope just diesel its the shops tow truck, we were able to get it started enough to drive it inside the shop before I swapped the motor. the old motor had bad injectors and bad high pressure oil pump along with bad glow plugs that had set a p0380 code and well over 300,000 on it. the service manager wanted a new low mileage motor in it, i used the same wiring harness and transferred all sensors over and put new glow plugs and injectors and high pressure oil pump in this pos. only thing i didnt transfer was the filter housing. theirs tons of fuel in the tank too we topped the [censored] off. i didnt do the diag on this, im just simply the heavy line tech, o well might have a pink slip coming since all fingers are being pointed my way. their mad for losing money not having our tow truck hooking cars right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back