SO is lucas oil stabilizer just a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I have been using this in my cherokee for well over 10yrs and I never really had any complaints about anything bad happening.
But nothing good, and the main bad thing was a thinning of your wallet.

Is oil unstable? If it is not unstable, then it doesn't need an oil stabilzer.

Probably not viscosity index improvers to get that high viscosity, but probably just mainly bright stock.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
The thicker the oil is, the more energy lost to friction from pumping it. Of course, if your engine is worn to the point that the piston rings are like the goggles (they do nothing) then you might get better fuel economy using the Lucas stuff.

This is the sole reason I wanted to purchase and use the Lucas. I have over 200,000 miles now and that is why I wanted to stay away from any 'upper' engine work ie rings, valve train, etc.

What gets me thinking is how some of you say --why in the world am I putting something like Lucas in the engine and use a high mileage oil--. So now my dilemma is a toss up.

Should I switch over to a thicker oil like 15w40 OR stay with the Valvoline Maxlife without the Lucas and just use some other oil additive??? I want to stay away from valve train/ring work til the engine goes kaput. Then I will really have fun with the options I can go with when that time comes.

4.0HO
AW4
NP231 tcase
8.25"
2" rusty's coils
1" daystar extended shackles & regular HD rear springs -rear-

not bad for 233,600 some odd miles

Originally Posted By: JGW
A friend of mine told me he bought a jug of Lucas oil stabilizer to use in the oil. Well, he used it, and his average mpg was 42. I told him to get it out ASAP, and when he changed the oil, without adding the Lucas, he now gets 50+ mpg average. No joke...

BUT that was probably for a automobile that does not have over 200,000 miles?

In a car that is less than a decade old and not a lot (over 100k miles) lucas might me terrible to add. That is why when I switched to Rotella T5 with no lucas the jeep just didn't feel right to me. I didn't feel like it had any power due to never having a ring job, I reckon.

I get no better than 16mpgs on this jeep all because the suspension lift. On one excursion when I loaded the back with amps and guitars and strictly driving over 65mph I got 21mpg. If I could go back in time I would have never put the lift on this jeep even though I was glad I did the suspension lift around the 200,000 mark.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
The thicker the oil is, the more energy lost to friction from pumping it. Of course, if your engine is worn to the point that the piston rings are like the goggles (they do nothing) then you might get better fuel economy using the Lucas stuff.

This is the sole reason I wanted to purchase and use the Lucas. I have over 200,000 miles now and that is why I wanted to stay away from any 'upper' engine work ie rings, valve train, etc.

What gets me thinking is how some of you say --why in the world am I putting something like Lucas in the engine and use a high mileage oil--. So now my dilemma is a toss up.

Should I switch over to a thicker oil like 15w40 OR stay with the Valvoline Maxlife without the Lucas and just use some other oil additive??? I want to stay away from valve train/ring work til the engine goes kaput. Then I will really have fun with the options I can go with when that time comes.

4.0HO
AW4
NP231 tcase
8.25"
2" rusty's coils

Even if your 4.0 had 400,000 miles, if its not burning oil and sustains good oil pressure there is ZERO need for special oil or additives. That said, MaxLife is a very good oil and you'd be fine to stick with it. Personally, I favor Rotella t6 4w40 in my 4.0s, but that's just me. You'd be fine on Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w30 if you wanted to go that way.

My biggest gripe with Lucas "stabilizer" is that not only does it have no antiwear additives, there is evidence that it increases oil foaming.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I won't touch anything that says Lucas they are all overpriced scams.

Don't know about the price but I wouldn't use it even if it was free.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

4.0HO
AW4
NP231 tcase
8.25"
2" rusty's coils

Even if your 4.0 had 400,000 miles, if its not burning oil and sustains good oil pressure there is ZERO need for special oil or additives. That said, MaxLife is a very good oil and you'd be fine to stick with it. Personally, I favor Rotella t6 4w40 in my 4.0s, but that's just me. You'd be fine on Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w30 if you wanted to go that way.

My biggest gripe with Lucas "stabilizer" is that not only does it have no antiwear additives, there is evidence that it increases oil foaming.

Just curious, what are your miles on those two jeeps of yours? If you are saying you are really happy with running a superb oil like T6 that is that low of viscosity 4w40. Isn't that ---answer this dumb question of mine -- It means that at 'start ups' the oil is like a 5 weight yet when it warms up its like 40 weight? Sorry for the dumbest oil question but is that correct?

I run straight 30 weight in the willys so would that mean instead of going to that extreme of running SAE30 in the cherokee the 4w40 T6 is the cat's meow for the 4.0's?

I'm fine with giving that a shot with Rotella. Though this time it will be 4w40 if what I asked above made sense.

Thanks 440magnum. That was helpful advice.

edit.
Is it 5w40 you mean?

Last edited:

Just curious, what are your miles on those two jeeps of yours? If you are saying you are really happy with running a superb oil like T6 that is that low of viscosity 4w40. Isn't that ---answer this dumb question of mine -- It means that at 'start ups' the oil is like a 5 weight yet when it warms up its like 40 weight? Sorry for the dumbest oil question but is that correct?

It is not exactly like that, the 5w rating refers to the pump-ability and cold flow properties of the oil, while the -40 rating refers to the high temp properties of the oil..two different sets of criteria for each rating.

http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/viscosity.htm

thanks for clearing that up rufushusky

I think I understand the real meaning to why oil is labeled like it is now. 5w40, 10w30, 10w50, 15w40, and so on.

I just needed the -dumb question- answered.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

4.0HO
AW4
NP231 tcase
8.25"
2" rusty's coils

I run straight 30 weight in the willys so would that mean instead of going to that extreme of running SAE30 in the cherokee the 4w40 T6 is the cat's meow for the 4.0's?

I'm fine with giving that a shot with Rotella. Though this time it will be 4w40 if what I asked above made sense.

Thanks 440magnum. That was helpful advice.

edit.
Is it 5w40 you mean?

Hope I get all your questions here:

The 99 has just over 150k miles, the 01 has 95k. I also have run T6 in Mopar v8s with over 200k.

As for the 5w40, yes that is what I use (I think its still the only forumlation that T6 comes in) Don't be fooled by that "5w", it doesn't mean what most people think it means ;-) The SECOND number (after the w) is intended to represent the operating temperature weight of the oil. So once the engine is warmed up, a 10w40 is the same as a 5w40 is the same as a 0w40. Of course there is some variation brand-to-brand, BUT they all fall into the allowed range for a 40 viscosity oil. The first number is an attempt to show the stability of the oil. I find it useful to look at it by starting with all oils at OPERATING temp and thinking about what happens as you cool them, rather than thinking about room temperature and thinking about warming them up. For example, it you take a typical 10w40 oil and cool it down from operating temperature, it will thicken along a certain temp-vs-thickness curve. If you take a 5w40 and cool it, it will thicken LESS than 10w40 (tend to stay the same thickness). A 0w40 will thicken even less as it cools. So, running 5w40 means that my engine is still getting a thicker oil at operating temp than it would with a 10w30, and also getting better flow when its cold. An ideal oil wouldn't change thickness at all with temperature, but in reality all oils are thinner hot than they are cold. But the ones with the wide XXwYY range thicken less as you cool them.

The downside to wide ranges is that sometimes "viscosity index improvers" are used to get the wide range. They are essentially plastic-like polymers that stabilize the thickness of the oil, but they can contribute to sludge. A kinda-general rule is that the thicker the number after the w, the heavier base stock the blender can start with and so the easier it is to get a wide range without to many VIIs (although they sometimes start using "pour point depressants.) So in that way, a 5w40 might be easier to get than a 5w20. Most name-brand synthetic and semi-synthetic oils get to 5w40 ratings without too much use of VI improvers. But that's why you tend to only see pure synths in the wide range ratings, and only synths and semi-synths in the Xw20 ranges, especially 0w20.

Last edited:
I am convinced to really try rotella again. This time not the T5.

Thanks for the explanation. That all makes sense.

5w40 t6,,Ive used it alot of engines, never a problem, best oil out there IMHO, its a no brainer, fits a lot of apps

The only other time I used a straight synthetic oil in this jeep was back in high school. Let's just say the seal around the oil pan and the oil filter elbow for this '92 xj didn't take too well with the mobil 1 I used.

Since I have been using the synthetic blended maxlife this should not be a problem, right? With the seals I mean.

I have had the rear main and oil pump replaced in spring of 2010 and the jeep came back to life it seems!

thanks for answering all my concerns. This has to help with a lot of others that are thinking of switching over to the T6, too.

Or more importantly not looking to buy Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

Last edited:
Synthetic oil doesn't cause it to leak; it clears out the stuff that's stopping the engine from leaking ... there's already something missing and it's covered in crud.

I run Rotella 5w-40 in my XJ. I kept "breaking down" the viscosity on 5w30 oils running it offroad. It's hard on an oil to spend most of the day idling while running extremely hot, apparently.

Last edited:
all lucas is a joke except their pr..like most of us on here lucas is a rip off useless garbage..use a good oil!!if an additive is needed there are a couple great ones with great reputation

Last edited:
lucas is a sizzle seller imho, truckers buy that stuff by the zillions of gallons, truckstops are full of it. I wish I had invented it.

I think it is important to remember that oil pressure is a function of resistance to flow. You might have less oil pressure before Lucas, but that could be only because your regular oil was getting through the oil passages to the parts faster. Thickening up the oil and getting more pressure just might be slowing the flow of the oil, and not improving your situation at all.

Lucas is marketing genius and nothing more. Really thick oil can stop/slow leaks, and quiet down engines with problems. That is why alot of people swear by lucas. They toss it in an engine with low oil pressure due to high clearances, engines clattering due to lubrication issues, and engines with leaks, and they get results. Does it solve any problem at all? No, but it makes some of the symptoms go away, and when they come back, well it must be because you need more Lucas.......

Like I said, marketing genius.

I have been using this in my cherokee for well over 10yrs and I never really had any complaints about anything bad happening.

Other than the other topic that is on the list of topics. I wanted to get down the the nit'n'gritty on why the lucas is bad for adding to the oil?

I have been using the lucas with 5qts of Valvoline MaxLife 10w30.

Should I just stick with the HM oil without the Lucas for the rest of my jeep's days???

thanks

When I first went in the Army, I was certified in the Army's Oil Analysis Program. There is no need for any type of additive in your oil. The newer oils, especially, have added detergents and other additives to help reduce foaming and breakdown of the oil. If you keep your vehicle serviced at least per the manufacturer's recommendations and use a quality multiviscosity oil and filter, you're good. Oil change intervals, oil type, and filter type will make a difference if your driving your vehicle really hard, a lot of stop-n-go driving, a lot of idling, or towing a lot. I hope this helps.

5qts of T6, no lucas this time in a tacoma prerunner..

Going to go for a 5,000mile OCI

When my cherokee needs a oil change I think I will go ahead and switch to the T6 as well. Since I have been running maxlife 10w30 I'll experiment with the T6. It couldn't hurt too much with causing any crud to start causing leaks? Like I have said the rear main and oil pump were replaced two yrs ago.

tacoma 126k mi
cherokee 233,800mi

Originally Posted By: sunfire
so it is a gimmick?

If someone wanted make the oil more viscous without having to do an OC. But they are better off using a thicker grade to begin with.

It does help keep oil pressure up which I thought was always a good thing though.

Probably because the oil is thicker.

It's only because the 4.0ho takes too long of a time to get the oil circulating in my jeep in particular with the heavier weight oil. 15w40 or the 20weight. When I change my own oil. It takes 6qts. I put the Lucas in first, then a five quart jug of 10w30 or 40 in the crankcase only after changing the filter. I use the oversided filter which is a Wix 51515/ or 1515 Napa. They both have a better oil bypass valve.

When I do have the money to take it for a engine rebuild or beef it up how ever needed. I am fine with how it is running like it is. When I need to add oil when I check it often I add oil alone.

It may not work for you. But it works alright for me.

I'm just glad it still is a great Xj.

One in this kind of shape are hard to find. If I ever sell it, which I never would I still can get probably another 40-50,000miles out of it. And be close to the 300,000 miles club.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Synthetic oil doesn't cause it to leak; it clears out the stuff that's stopping the engine from leaking ... there's already something missing and it's covered in crud.

I run Rotella 5w-40 in my XJ. I kept "breaking down" the viscosity on 5w30 oils running it offroad. It's hard on an oil to spend most of the day idling while running extremely hot, apparently.

Mine doesn't idle a lot in traffic. I had this jeep on a farm when I kept a stready 210temp and that was obviously with the a/c on or heater as that keeps the aux fan running and/ or the antifreeze keeping the engine cooler. I know to drop the trans in a lower gear to make the belt fan get the more through to the engine as well. I'm not a complete idiot.

I just know what my jeep can do and not do. Runs smooth without much clatter or pinging because I use quality top tier gas. As well as fuel additives like sta-bil marine 360 and b12 chemtool in the gas alone every so often.

Power equipment gets a gulp of Stabil 360 and sometimes MMO just for trouble free starting.

25yr old fourwheeler. Runs better than some fancy atvs of today.

LTZ10--- Great point. And no I don't drive in much stop and go traffic if I can help it. I choose the less busy roads so people on their cell phones are always riding their brakes or tailgating too closely in those situations. The more fresh air to the engine the better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back