Small engine, tiny oil filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

This is a replacement filter for my Briggs 850 "Professional Series" push mower engine. 2" OD x 2.5" long. I could loose it in cracks in my driveway!

This is an Oregon replacement for a Briggs 795990 filter. It was only $2.76, but $8.76 total with shipping.
frown.gif

cid__0518121305.jpg

cid__0518121306.jpg

Joel

The filter on my Cub Cadet lawn tractor is bigger than the one on my CR-V. I had to buy a new wrench just for the Honda.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Was in "Made in USA"?

Unfortunately not. Says "Made in China" on the box. It does look/feel like decent quality though. It's a conventional perforated metal center tube, where you can see neat, tight pleats through the holes. Can also see a spring loaded bypass at the bottom.

If my oil filter cutter opener works on something this small, I'll post pics of the factory original off my 21" Snapper mower. It's been on there since last June. Maybe 25-30hrs on it.

Joel

I've had good luck with their belts and saw chains. I haven't tried Oregon blades and this is a first for the filter! With shipping it wound-up being about the same price as a genuine Briggs filter. I haven't pulled the factory one off yet, but they look identical.

015-1.jpg

chances are those 2 filters are identical. if you ever wear out that ninja blade, you should give the oregon gator blade a try. its actually snapper red (most knockoffs are black and thin) and its the exact thickness etc as an oem snapper. i think snapper has a patent on the ninja. we will never agree on mtd, but the old drive style snapper is an A+ mower in my opinion

I actually bought and tried a standard (red) OEM snapper mulching blade in place of the Ninja blade- to try to make this mower more quiet. It didn't do much noise-wise and didn't mulch as well as the Ninja, so back on went the ninja!

The engine is super smooth and quiet but the blade whoosh/roar is LOUD on this puppy.

It's a pleasure to mow with though. Love the drive system and differential rear-end.

Joel

Last edited:
no oil pressure gauge on the snapper yet, isn't snapper a samplicity owned company? I was looking at one of these motors to power a altinator to charge the bank of batteries powering my invertor. how do you like this little motor?

ken

Originally Posted By: JR
...I was looking at one of these motors to power a altinator to charge the bank of batteries powering my invertor. how do you like this little motor?

ken

Very nice engine. Starts with 1-2 pulls and is very smooth and quiet. Lots of power too. It never skips a beat, even spinning that monster multi-edged Ninja blade through thick stuff. The engine has a nice mellow tone to it.

Changing oil with one mounted on this particular mower was a PITA. At first I couldn't find the bottom drain, so it tipped it on it's side to drain the used oil out the dipstick tube. Only a few ounces came out.

I finally located the block drain underneath the belt guard under the deck. Had to remove the belt guard AND pop the drive belt off because oil would drain directly onto the belt no less.

As a result of tipping it with some fuel in the tank, the muffler loaded with fuel, which subsequently blew out of the muffler and all over the driveway on the 5-6 pulls it took to start the flooded engine afterwards!

Atleast I'll have a better procedure down for the next oil change.

Oh.. I'm going to try a pipe cutter on that filter to post some used filter pics. Unfortunately my filter cutter doesn't adjust small enough for this one.

Joel

My last Snapper (which is now owned by Briggs&Stratton) had an option to buy either with a Kawasaki or Briggs engine - I opted for the Kawasaki, partially because the oil filter is much larger and partially because Briggs is systematically eliminating everything but their own engine(s) from Snapper mowers.

Found a suitable Purolator Oil Filter, same diameter and about 1/3 larger capacity from Wallyworld, used http://www.filterbarn.com to find equivalency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back