Would a worn Strut mount cause excessive tire wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced my shocks and struts a few months ago but never replaced the strut mounts. They seemed to still be in good shape.

Fast forward a few months and my two front tires were worn bald and was told from my mechanic that the car was way out alignment (he wasnt able to put it completely in spec but got as close as he could.)

My question how can you tell if a strut mount is worn and if so what is the process to replace it? Mine cost roughly $50 a piece on rock auto so I dont want to replace this unless I have to. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: bxd20
Worn bald evenly across the tire? Worn only on inside or outsider? Both sides had the same wear pattern?

Worn bald on the inside of the tire. Outside looked OK

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Did you have it alligned right after replacing the struts?

No, it wasn't until I had the new tires installed. It sounds to me like it isn't the strut mount that caused the tire wear but the fact that I didn't align the vehicle after I installed the struts and shocks.

Worn bald on inside is CAMBER which should have been corrected by alignment. Not likely to be a mount problem.

That's good to know. The place who performed my alignment said that they were unable to fully adjust my camber but there was nothing mechanically wrong with my car (i.e. tie rod, ball joint etc.) Is what he said bunk?

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Worn bald on inside is CAMBER which should have been corrected by alignment. Not likely to be a mount problem.

That's good to know. The place who performed my alignment said that they were unable to fully adjust my camber but there was nothing mechanically wrong with my car (i.e. tie rod, ball joint etc.) Is what he said bunk?

Which car? There's always a way to fix an alignment issue. "No factory adjustment, unable to fully adjust" is just a cheap excuse for a [censored] alignment. There are aftermarket shims, cams, spacers, adjustable balljoints and more to correct almost any issue, unless you have a damaged frame. And even with damaged frames there are places that will straighten them out. Take your car to get aligned elsewhere.

Who is to say the new struts were welded up/drilled out correctly? Thats something nobody thinks of...

Which car? There's always a way to fix an alignment issue. "No factory adjustment, unable to fully adjust" is just a cheap excuse for a [censored] alignment. There are aftermarket shims, cams, spacers, adjustable balljoints and more to correct almost any issue, unless you have a damaged frame. And even with damaged frames there are places that will straighten them out. Take your car to get aligned elsewhere. **QUOTE

I had my local dealership do the alignment. Not suprised that it was bunk. It sounded weird to me that a dealership with their "infinite" GM wisdom wouldn't be able to align my Equinox. Glad somebody was able to validate my thoughts. The alignment is fine for now. Money is a little short so I plan on waiting a month and going to my local place. The main mechanic there is specialized in alignments so I know it will be done right. I had gone to the dealer for their car service for any repairs. Needed a ride to and from work. Next month I am going to get a ride from a friend and have it done right. Especially with new tires!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
There are different ways for a strut mount to puke.
This should have been checked by the installer.

I was the installer.......

Everything was put together properly and tourqed to specs from the manufacturer. The strut mounts seemed to still have plenty of support but have close to 87k. I was curious about tall tail signs of strut mount wear signals.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Did you have it alligned right after replacing the struts?

No, it wasn't until I had the new tires installed. It sounds to me like it isn't the strut mount that caused the tire wear but the fact that I didn't align the vehicle after I installed the struts and shocks.

Bingo !!

I also think you should have gotten an alignment after doing the struts. I also would have used quick struts. I have done it the other way where you just replace the strut, but probably won't do that again. I have also installed camber bolts before taking it in for an alignment. Take it to a real auto shop, not Pep Boys!

I replaced struts and springs (quick-struts) in my fiance's car. The alignment was way off after replacing them.

The quick strut comes with new bearings and mounts, the reason I replaced them was a bad strut bearing and mount that was making a loud popping sound when you turned the wheel in one direction.

Just replacing struts, I would get the alignment checked but you might not need to actually have it done.

Yes, you absolutely need an alignment after replacing struts. Here's what I do: after putting it on jack stands and removing the wheel, I hold a level against the hub and note approximately where the bubble is. Then after the strut replacement, I put it back as close as possible. This will get you in the ballpark, but you still need to get it aligned.

After replacing both struts on my Odyssey with new OEM struts the toe setting was way off spec; caster and camber were right-on though. Can you post the before and after alignment settings?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
After replacing both struts on my Odyssey with new OEM struts the toe setting was way off spec; caster and camber were right-on though. Can you post the before and after alignment settings?

Wish I could, sorry. I replaced the shocks and struts via driveway and wasnt near a shop to have any measurements done on the machine. The only way I was able to determine alignment was the pulling to the left at highway speeds and rapid treadware on the inside of both front tires. I have since had a new alignment (but previous posts proved not good) and tires installed. I plan on seeing how my tires are wearing and if I notice anything uneven I am going to bring it to a real alignment shop and have it done correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back