WAWA gas a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a Ford dealership:

Quote:
Layoff Wawa's gas. I know its price per gallon is hard to beat and it's a real convenience to fuel up and grab a coffee, but their fuel is not of a good quality and we're finally seeing the effects of using it on regualr basis with vehicles coming in for repair related to the regular use of a lower quality fuel.

+1. Wawa gas is guaranteed to be suitable for use, at least last time I looked at their site.

Ive seen their folks be pretty proactive about doing things like changing filters. Better crew there than other stations.

Best deal around though is the shell at the White Horse Pike and King's Highway in Heights. Cash and credit same price and a good deal for top tier, and their prices are far more consistent (in the lower range of local prices, especially if you have a good deal on a rebates credit card).

Not hitting on Wawa, but I suspect it does not have the additives that say Top Tier gas has. However, that normally shouldn't cause major problems. Could be that the Wawa local to that Ford dealer does have some issues. There used to be a Mobil station near my house (supposedly Top Tier gas) that I refused to go to after several times in different cars I received a load of water with my gas. I talked around about this and found that many others had similar experiences with that station. Like with most things, the operator of the station makes a difference, no matter what the brand of fuel.

Sounds like grounds for a slander suit to me. Always use the words "I believe" before slandering someone. Not very wise on the part of the dealer.

Wawa? Sounds like its full of Wawa (water).What an idea people must have in their minds about that name..

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Service writer was hitting on Wawa's cute clerk and she said no.

^^^ agreed. Their gas is not better or worse than any of the other discount gas stations out there...

Last edited:
The largest refinery in the Phila area is (was) Sunoco. Probably an 80% chance the gas is supplied by Sun. Don't think they refine a low quality gas for anyone; just a difference in the additives when the truck is loaded.

I thought the additives were what made Top-Tier...specifically detergents...

While WaWa may have the same hydrocarbon mix (same refinery) it's the additives that keep valve/intake deposits and injector/system clogging to a minimum...

My neighbor owns a Shell station. My Shell card gives me a discount. Support my neighbor, good quality gas, and the discount gets me close to WaWa's price...so, for a few pennies/gallon, I don't bother with WaWa when there are so many good reasons to keep buying at Shore Drive Shell...

Originally Posted By: Brons2
What the heck is Wawa gas? Walmart?

Wawa is a convenience store chain in the Mid-Atlantic.

Just for kicks I wrote to a convenience store chain near here (not Wawa) and asked them about whether or not their gas was the same as Mobil, since the same company also runs a bunch of Mobil stations in the area and I see the same trucks filling tanks at both their Mobil branded stations and their own brand. They refused to say what gas went in which store, and they would only confirm that all of their gas met all applicable standards, etc. They tend to sell the gas at the Mobil stations for more than at their own branded stations.

From the Wawa site:

Wawa Fuel is 100% Guaranteed

Wawa is committed to providing our customers with a guarantee on the quality of our fuel, as well as fair, honest pricing — a guarantee that virtually no other retailer in our market can offer.

To stand behind our guarantee, we provide only the best fuel from major domestic refineries and offer quality protection that’s second to none. Here’s how we keep our fuel clean, safe, and quality controlled, both for our customers and the environment:

Our fuel contains detergent cleansing additives to help clean your engine as you drive, thereby helping to reduce emissions.
Our fuel is formulated to meet or exceed the most stringent EPA and auto manufacturer standards for quality.
We quality test on-site with state-of-the-art systems and equipment to deliver, store and dispense our fuel.

Responsibility to customers

If your vehicle has a mechanical problem caused by our fuel, we'll pay for the repair. All we need is have your vehicle serviced by a professional technician qualified to identify and fix fuel-related problems. Qualified technicians have an A8 certification from the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.

For more information on the Wawa Fuel Guarantee, or for claim forms, please visit FAQs about fuel, or call the Wawa Customer Call Center at 1-800-444-9292.

http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/Fuel.aspx

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Wawa? Sounds like its full of Wawa (water).What an idea people must have in their minds about that name..

A wawa is a Canadian Goose and the the Corporate Headquarters are in Wawa PA.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Service writer was hitting on Wawa's cute clerk and she said no.

^^^ agreed. Their gas is not better or worse than any of the other discount gas stations out there...

This. We vacationed in Maryland for several years and I always purchased fuel @the local Wawa without issues.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
From the Wawa site:

Wawa Fuel is 100% Guaranteed

Wawa is committed to providing our customers with a guarantee on the quality of our fuel, as well as fair, honest pricing — a guarantee that virtually no other retailer in our market can offer.

To stand behind our guarantee, we provide only the best fuel from major domestic refineries and offer quality protection that’s second to none. Here’s how we keep our fuel clean, safe, and quality controlled, both for our customers and the environment:

Our fuel contains detergent cleansing additives to help clean your engine as you drive, thereby helping to reduce emissions.
Our fuel is formulated to meet or exceed the most stringent EPA and auto manufacturer standards for quality.
We quality test on-site with state-of-the-art systems and equipment to deliver, store and dispense our fuel.

Responsibility to customers

If your vehicle has a mechanical problem caused by our fuel, we'll pay for the repair. All we need is have your vehicle serviced by a professional technician qualified to identify and fix fuel-related problems. Qualified technicians have an A8 certification from the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.

For more information on the Wawa Fuel Guarantee, or for claim forms, please visit FAQs about fuel, or call the Wawa Customer Call Center at 1-800-444-9292.

http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/Fuel.aspx

Well there you have it, they stand behind their product.

I have never had a problem with Wawa gas, though I usually fill up at the Citgo on base since it is more convenient. I doubt there would be widespread issues either, there can be 15 min lines there sometimes.

Id like to open a Wawa on either Dam Neck and Gen Booth to catch all the people going to the base or on Birdneck and Laskin to catch people going to the beach. I think it would make a killing.

IMO, all of today's gasoline is equally of bad quality with the corn juice eating away metals and dissolving rubbers and giving you worse mileage. IMO, we have the worst gasoline we have ever had, except for prior to the 50's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back