Should I add a moly supplement to my auto trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Last year when I bought this car I had the trans fluid fully flushed and refilled with new stuff, and now I'm wondering if I should add a moly supplement to it? It would cost me way too much to go out and buy ATF that has moly in it, and have it flushed all over again, so I was thinking that the $10 Molyslip tranny additive might be a good alternative.

Would moly in an auto trans help reduce the fluid temps at all, or at least reduce the effects of higher heat on the trans? Would I also possibly see a little bit more rear wheel horsepower due to decreased friction? (sometimes when people switch over to other fluids such as Redline in their auto trans they find the dyno numbers increase by 5 or 6rwhp due to less driveline losses)

Here is the additive I'm considering:

http://www.molyslip.com/Products/MolySlipATFA.html

[ July 24, 2002, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Here is quote from Bob on the "Woodsplitter and DexronII" thread:

"As for moly in it? Well, After talking with our head chemist, he stated no, it's not possible to run a moly additive in an atf fluid as it is very dependant on certain frictional properties. Just as it is not possible to have any fluid that can be crossed used in a mercon V/,application dexron and ATF+3. He stated that the aditive packages are completly different and would cause problems over time."

How could they have been selling this additive for 40 years if it doesn't really mix with ATF though?

frown.gif

I want moly everywhere now, I even pour moly on my breakfast cereal so it slides through my intenstines faster!
tongue.gif

[ July 24, 2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman,

You may have an idea for a new cereal, Cocoa MolyFluffs!
grin.gif

I would ask these guys if the Moly is preferentially deposited just to the metal parts AND if
it deposits any on the wet clutches, and exactly HOW it affects the wet clutches.

I don't believe that even Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF even has any moly in it.
shocked.gif

I used LubeGard Red at my last flush. It makes the shifts slightly firmer. They claim it reduces temps, though I have no way of proving it. I also put an ounce of it in my power sttering fluid and it made the steering smoother.

[ July 25, 2002, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Considering how troublesome GM power steering systems can be, I should add a bit of it to mine too!

Adding friction modifiers to ATF is a bad idea. Every transmission maker out there has a different system and requires a different friction. in simple terms, A Type F has a very high initial grip, Dexron much smoother, and ATF+3 has to be much smoother. If you put Dexron in a Chrysler product, you get a better "feel" of power at the cost of a much shorter transmission life. The same goes for putting Type F in a trans designed for Dexton.
How can they keep selling it: Marketing, Ignorance, and probably a few other reasons.
for any who want to see the graphs take a look here:

-

-

[ July 25, 2002, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back