I strongly suggest that users question the value of most aftermarket oil additives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
we already knew about those being bad. Thanks for the heads up and another resource tho.

--Matt

Resins? Which additives have resins? What do they mean by resins?

Start-up wear? Thin oil films contribute to start-up wear unless a good AW (barrier) additive is in the oil. This author would make you think the acids are so strong that it would eat through your skin. This author needs to read some SAE papers on actual measured oils films in bearings and rings.

When you click on the " about the author " in the pic,which one is 007 ?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
When you click on the " about the author " in the pic,which one is 007 ?
smile.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Thin oil films contribute to start-up wear unless a good AW (barrier) additive is in the oil. This author would make you think the acids are so strong that it would eat through your skin. This author needs to read some SAE papers on actual measured oils films in bearings and rings.

MolaKule:

What do you mean by AW? Is that Anti-Wear barrier (like Moly)? What are AW items?

FWIW, ZMAX is still being advertised as doing great things....If what the poster stated was factual, could ZMAX have provided enough tests to satisfy the Feds? I still see some of the others on store shelves as well??????????

[ January 09, 2003, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

It looks as if the Feds make you pay a fine, change your ads, and go about business. I doubt that there is anything the Feds could do about posting testimonials in advertising, it's just the phony testing that doesn't fly.
nono.gif

ZMAX is owned by the largest owner of NASCAR Tracks, "Linkite" (the secret ingredient) has been around since WWII where it was used as a perservative on US Army Aircraft Engines being ferried overseas. ZMAX being sold today is inventory which the court allowed to be sold , they are not making any new batches. Now on to MotorUP-Prolong-Duralube and most other "Friction Reducer's" there main ingredient is long chain chlorinated parrafinn's which cause corrosion on engine parts and why Duralube lost a class action suite from customers, there is a lot of other issues about this chemistry (all bad) Nobody is selling new batches of this chemistry either.

Frank what about Militec 1? Has U.S govt part no's and qualified for nuke sub use by your Navy. I have heaps left which I'm mixing with Redline Kart oil and using in KT100S Yamaha kart eng but also have some in with RL gear oil in my Subaru trans. If bad I need to know?

Frank, thanks for that info on Z-Max. Their infomercial is one of the "snakeiest" going but I wondered how they could still be selling the stuff in light of the FTC action against them.

--- Bror Jace

Hate to rain on someone's parade but the information about Militec and the US Navy is not correct. I just spoke with an individual who is employed by NAVSEA who I worked with several years ago in trying to resolve this push for use of aftermarket additives including Militec and many others. He stated that there is no approval by the Navy for using Militec. He further checked with one of his associates who works in the Submarine directorate and is involved with lubricants. He too stated without any question that Militec is not approved for use in submarines.

There has been a DOD Policy Guidelines for Use of Aftermarket Fuel and Lubricant Additives document in place since 1996 that states "Navy does not authorize use of any aftermarket addtives." Now, there may be some use of this product as individuals will do this on an unauthorized basis. But to say that the Navy has approved this is completely incorrect. The national stack numbers that have been assigned were done after a very aggressive push by Militec, and they were only approved for use in weapon systems. That is why the stock numbers are for primarily very small sizes and certainly not intended for engines, gear boxes, transfer cases, etc.

the bad oil additives out there, and there are sure alot of them, have given a bad rap to the good additives such as synergyn oil additive in which they use as their oils additive package in their racing oil, and all oils including tranny fluid..also schaffers makes a great oil additive in their #132

Militec Naval Experience was to demonstrate they can stop seawater from rusting sidearms in use with submarine crews there product did so, then again so can petroleum jelly. Another subject the word "Additives " is used so much, it's meaning has got lost. Additives alter the performance characteristics of the oil they are added to.
Additive Packages are approved chemistry by the oil refinery to create specific results desired by the oil company in there line of oil products.
Zinc-Phosphate etc are part of the additive package in the oil put there by the oil company
ZMAX etc is an additive that is not added to base dino or synthetic oil and not endorsed by oil companys.

Actually, the initial justification by one element of the Navy in 1989 was "The Assistant Deputy Under Secretary of the Navy (Safety and Survivability) (ADUSN(S&S)) has certified commercial devices demonstrated to meet the qualification requirements for a
synthetic-based metal conditioner (i.e., Militec) used to operationally increase
the survivability of mechanical equipment." This was supposedly a survivability improvement and not one that talked about reducing sea water corrosion.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
the bad oil additives out there, and there are sure alot of them, have given a bad rap to the good additives such as synergyn oil additive in which they use as their oils additive package in their racing oil, and all oils including tranny fluid..also schaffers makes a great oil additive in their #132

There appear to be a lot of anecdotal examples of why Synergyn is good and even these two web pages (1, 2) but I'm not sold that they can provide any better performance. Is there any more substantial information available? I'm not sure what I'm looking for but it's more than what I'm seeing.

mojo, good info. A few years back when I was a Army pilot at Fort Bragg the 18th ABN authorized locally the purchase of Amsoil MP spray lubricant for our M-16's and M-60's and it worked really well, I never saw that being purchased by the Army per se but via local Commmanders authorization.

Maybe same deal ?

I don't know about performance or dry starts, but ever since I added Slick 50 to my car, it has smelled like a fying pan!!!

It's Amazing!!!

Now all I need to do is drain the oil and drive it around for awhile!! Who needs oil?
crushedcar.gif

"There appear to be a lot of anecdotal examples of why Synergyn is good and even these two web pages."
In looking at these two web pages, would agree that they are essentially anecdotal in nature and do not give any specifics. One mentions dynamometer testing but no details are even provided. What would be needed is some A-B type comparative testing with specifics being given that would include both engine dynamometer and some congrolled fleet tests. Otherwise, you are left to rely on advertising claims and we know how they can be exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back