Neutra 131 - Proper Application/Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 16 oz bottle of 131 and I am curious as to how it should be used in the crankcase. The instructions on the bottle for purging are a bit cryptic. The instructions on the tech data sheet are more appropriate for industrial applications. I guess my question is, how many miles should I leave it in the crank case before I do an oil change? 100? 1000? Thanks.

Standard applications for a car, 100 to 500 miles before oil change. It will not hurt nor affect your oil. I took a whole bottle, poured into my 4cyl 1.9l ford, drove for 4,000 miles on this before draining. Oil analysis showed no ill effects on the oil.

Bob,

1) Does Neutra work in an automatic transmission? What dosage?

2) Does Neutra affect the lubricating ability (protection) of the oil in the engine or transmission during the cleaning process?

3) What's in Neutra?

Ken

[ January 03, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Ken2 here is a partial repost and the link to the 131 Nuetra MSDS

http://www.schaefferoil.com/msds/131.html

Neutra does contain two components, one component breaks up water molecules for subsequent evaporation and volitization, and the other is a "de-polymerization" component which breaks up hydrocarbons and once softened, eventually places the carbon into solution (as in the case of oil addition). In a highly "carboned-up" engine, the oil should darken as the carbon deposits are placed into solution. As you are aware, there are many chemicals and chemical combinations that attack carbon deposits and "de-polymerize" the carbon bonds to soften the deposits. In Neutra, the CA acts as a catalyst to start the carbon softening process.

In fuel, the CA in Neutra breaks up combustion chamber carbon deposits which are then vaporized by the N-butyl Alchohol which then sweepts them out into the exhaust stream.

Also, please notice that N-butyl alcohol and Cresyl acid (constituents of Neutra Purge) form an "ester" as well.

[ January 04, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Standard applications for a car, 100 to 500 miles before oil change. It will not hurt nor affect your oil. I took a whole bottle, poured into my 4cyl 1.9l ford, drove for 4,000 miles on this before draining. Oil analysis showed no ill effects on the oil.

Do you have that oil analysis on hand Bob? I'm curious as to whether or not it thinned out the oil a lot. Why did you leave it in for so long? Just to test it out?

yes, it is the 10,500 mile oil analysis I posted using the blend and m1 filter, and yes, I wanted to see how it would affect the oil under extreme conditions of high speeds for long periods of time for a long distance.

Bob. As I may have noted on several posts I have used Neutra now in 4 engines. (one bottle for about 400-500 miles) In a very very dirty one I found a huge number (bottom of drain pan just covered with debris) of pin head sized particle that did not seem to be trapped in the filter media (canister loaded) but were apparently circulating in the oil. On another clean engine I found some same sized particle in the bottom of the pan but very few. This sort of contradicts the disolving action of Neutra as it certainly loosened the crud up but the size of the particles scared me a little.

Comments

[ January 04, 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Spector, it sounds to me like you're describing particles blocked by the oil pickup screen and some by the filter media. If they fall back, out of the screen and media after oil pressure subsides, this would be normal. I can't speak to the disolving issue beyond wanting to know what makes up the particles. Are you having samples analyzed? You might include some of the pieces with a note calling them out so the lab identifies them.

David

Spector: Possibly the 131 found some relatively large deposits that broke apart during the dissolving action.

I'm planning to 131 my wagon that is now up to 237,400mi. It's up to 3000mi on a Schaeffer 7000 fill. Since you found chunks, I think I might treat mine as follows:

*Add 131 for 300-500mi to the Schaeffer's.

*Drain and pull oil pan. Never been off that I know of. Refill with cheap oil plus more 131.

*Drive it 300-500mi. Drain and refill with Schaeffer's 7000. Go back to 5000mi/6month changes.

[ January 04, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: mormit ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back