How does Lube Control inhibit oxidation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read Bob's info on the ISO-Syn process that makes Group III oils. Here is some of it:

Very good to excellent oxidation stability due to their high saturate content. Very good low volatility characteristics due to their high saturate content and the lack of lighter molecular ends.

BUT---

Hydrocracking produces highly sought after by
products such as naphtha and middle distillates.
Hydrocracked base oils do not contain any of the
natural sulfur antioxidants that are needed for
oxidation stability.
Hydrocracked base oils generally require the use of additional oxidation inhibitors.
Once the oxidation inhibitor additive package is depleted rapid oxidation will occur.
Uninhibited hydrocracked base oils will darken and form sludge when exposed to air and light.
Hydrocracked base oils have a low ability to solubilize the byproducts of oxidation.
This can result in the formation of sludge and rapid depletion of the oxidation inhibitors that are present in the lubricant formulation.
Hydrocracked base oils exhibit low solvency characteristics than other types of base oils.

Does Lube control add back the solvency needed to stop oxidation before it happens? Does it suspend blowby contamination? If so it must be important to continue adding it every thousand miles since it volatizes off in that time.

I'm no chemist. Thoughts???

[ December 21, 2002, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

Where did this post about hydrocracking come from ?
I would like to see who Authored it.

Lube Control ? Sorry I cannot add to your post. I have never heard of it.

"Does Lube control add back the solvency needed to stop oxidation before it happens?"

Lube Control retards further oxidation.

"Does it suspend blowby contamination?"

If the blowby deposits are carbonaceous in nature, it will attack them and break them up. The host oil will turn dark because LC has placed them into suspension. What you want to do is take large pieces of carbon or carbonaceous sludge and break it up into such fine particles that it goes into solution.

Blowby consists of oxygen, nitrogen, moisture, and hydrocarbon particulates.

"If so it must be important to continue adding it every thousand miles since it volatizes off in that time.'

Two of the components will volatize in about 900 and 2,500 miles, respectively. Other components will last until the oil is changed.

Thanks once again, MolaKule!!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I'm bored at work and looked up MolaKule's earlier post on LC/FP

Fuel Power increases combustion efficiency, lubricates fuel pumps and injectors, cleans the fuel system, and increases mileage. It scavenges water and moisture from the fuel system as well so the resulting mix can be burned in the conbustion chamber. Combustion chambers can be cleaned using Fuel Power.

Lube Control was initially used as an engine treatment to clean sludgy engines in the '50's when detergents and crankcase cleaners (other than maybe diesel fuel) were not available. LC is a very versatile product.

Lube Control levels the TBN, reduces oxidation, provides an extra measure of lubricity, provides extra rust control, and will literally melt (soften and emulsify) carbonaceous deposits. It then places these carbonaceous deposits into the oil solution. Lube Control can also be used as a cylinder prepatory storage oil (squirted into the individual cylinder) in automotive and small engines to clean carbon deposits and keep rings and cylinders from rusting during storage.
2-cycle and 4-cycle engines that have stuck rings can be unstuck with LC. (Saturns come to mind!!)

I would also highly recommend it as an engine flush in a dosage of 16 oz/per 4 qts. Run the engine for 10 minutes with the old oil and filter and then drain. If some of the LC is left in the engine, not to worry. It's very gentle in the newly recommended treatment levels.

As far as cleaning and time to clean, the power of LC is somewhere between Auto-RX and Neutra.

Both are very safe around hot surfaces and flammability is not a problem, as it has been with some of the thinner OTC products.

Someone mentioned elevated lead levels with LC. I tested it in three automobile engines with analysis at approx. 1.3k, 3k+ intervals and never observed any elevated lead levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back