Toluene piston soak....sound like a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toluene really seems to be able to disolve just about anything. Would this nasty stuff be effective for soaking pistons to unstick rings(on my saturn). I figure about an ounce of this stuff in each cylinder should be able to get most of that carbon off of everything in there. I'd imagine following the treatment immediately with an oil change would probably be a good idea since Toluene probably doesn't do much for lubrication.

Comments, concerns?

--Matt

hmm, now that I look at it. berryman's b-12 would probably be even better than just plain Toluene in there. The H.E.S.T. package has a lot of nasty stuff in it. I'd venture to guess if one of the chemicals in there can't get rid of the buildup that nothing can.

It's the idea of puting chemicals like this somewhere that can get into my oil that bothers me.

--Matt

Matt,

Onequartlow has some guidance on your soak idea.

Kev99, I've had very good luck with mopar combustion chamber cleaner (spray can) for stuck rings & bad carbon deposits. It's normally applied in the throttle body but for this it's best in the plug openings to soak for a while. Good right before an oil change since plenty will leak into the sump.

Warm it up thoroughly
pull the plugs
pull the primary
soak each cylinder
crank it over once
let sit for 20min
crank again
after ensuring liquid is gone, restore parts & start
keep it slow the first few minutes.
Your neighbors may call the EPA when they see/smell the white cloud.

I've never seen the MSDS for MCCC but I will say you don't want to breathe it. Strong stuff. Popular dealer shop item. Goes for ~$5-8 at parts counters. I like Neutra but it may be too gentle if you only want to treat once. Maybe Bob could comment on his experiences.

David

I've used the Mopar product as well and it does do a good job at shaking that stuff loose- ran it a couple times on my turbo Talon, which ran absolutely pig rich. I let it sit on the piston-tops overnight though, then sucked the remaining liquid out with a hose. That's a very important step! Can't hurt, unless you a)forget to take it out of the cylinders before starting, b)forget to change your oil before starting.

Luck, and keep us posted!
Robert

[ December 23, 2002, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: porterdog ]

Three to four ounces of LC (Lube Control) full strength per cylinder has unstuck many rings. It has a base oil carrier so it provides lubrication as well. Remove plugs and inject LC.

After about 2 hours, just touch starter for about 1 second for about one full rev of the crank.

Let sit for at least four hours, overnight if possible.

Replace plugs and fire up engine, outside of course.

Replace oil within 500 miles.

BTW, Toulene doesn't provide any lubrication.

[ December 23, 2002, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I think I may try a couple more applications of the MMO piston soak and another treatment of auto-rx before trying these more drastic methoods. I PM'd terry about LC and FP but he doesn't seem to have gotten the message yet.

--Matt

Matt,

I think I would try the Auto-RX "without" the MMO, however. I never cared for
thin hydorcarbon solvents.

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
I think I may try a couple more applications of the MMO piston soak and another treatment of auto-rx before trying these more drastic methoods. I PM'd terry about LC and FP but he doesn't seem to have gotten the message yet.

--Matt

FYI, Terry is not going to be at his office for all of this week, so he's only got a limited amount of time on the computer until the 30th, so be patient with any correspondence you guys send him.

k, I'm really interested in this lube control stuff. it sounds like a real winner. I guess I'll just order some RX at the holiday price.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:

--Matt

Matt,

check your e-mail and Private messages.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back